Guppies Are Staying Near Top Of Tank And Refuse To Go Deeper

The likelihood is that the damage done from the ammonia and nitrite being high for some time.

If you have a breeder net, you could put the fish in there for a while to protect it.

Regarding changing your water for ammonia:  https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/FreeAmmonia.php Use this website.  It tells you when your free ammonia (that which is actually the dangerous chemical)... keep that below 0.05 ppm.  

For nitrite:  Once you reach this point, salt can be used to prevent nitrite poisoning rather than water changes.  This will speed up the cycle as you won't be removing the food source of the bacteria.

I'm a little concerned about the design of this filter. A fish should not be able to get into the filter. It's normal for newly born fry to get dragged into a filter (which is partly the reason we recommend sponge filters with fry) but for a larger fish to be taken into the filter could suggest the filter is not fit for purpose.

If it happens again I'd consider replacing it 

Yeah, I put some mesh onto the filter after the guppy died. This show stop any further incidents of the guppies dying. I'm at the point when I can now do 50%s. When should I try a 25%? Also when my tank is finally cycled, what fish should I get to replace the ones that died? This may be thinking a little bit to far ahead, but I like to be prepared.

How long is it between water changes right now?

When that frequency drops, you can lower the amount of the water change... But for my money, 50% is really a decent target. Those larger water changes really are better whenever possible.

when the time comes to add more fish remember that the filter is only cycled for the fish you have (1 guppy if I've kept up with things?) and so when adding new fish you'll need to add slowly to give the filter chance to grow more bacteria to support more ammonia created by any new arrivals (does that make sense?)

Small fish have a smaller bio-load and so if you are able, buy fish as young as you can so the filter grows bacteria as they grow. I would buy them in 2's or 3's and check the stats daily for ammonia and nitrite to make certain the filter is coping.

Remember this is still a filter in it's infancy and so it won't take much to get a spike (a mini cycle). Once the tank and filter matures you can confidently add fish in larger batches but for now go steady and add new fish with two week gaps between them. Of course we need to get you to that point first :)

eaglesaquarium said:

When that frequency drops, you can lower the amount of the water change... But for my money, 50% is really a decent target. Those larger water changes really are better whenever possible.
I'm at 50% every day. When do you think I should start widening the gaps?

Akasha72 said:
when the time comes to add more fish remember that the filter is only cycled for the fish you have (1 guppy if I've kept up with things?) and so when adding new fish you'll need to add slowly to give the filter chance to grow more bacteria to support more ammonia created by any new arrivals (does that make sense?)

Small fish have a smaller bio-load and so if you are able, buy fish as young as you can so the filter grows bacteria as they grow. I would buy them in 2's or 3's and check the stats daily for ammonia and nitrite to make certain the filter is coping.

Remember this is still a filter in it's infancy and so it won't take much to get a spike (a mini cycle). Once the tank and filter matures you can confidently add fish in larger batches but for now go steady and add new fish with two week gaps between them. Of course we need to get you to that point first
smile.png
Yeah, just tell me when I should. I will keep you guys up on what I'm doing.

Typhlodew said:
I'm at 50% every day. When do you think I should start widening the gaps?

You change the water when the free ammonia approaches the 0.05ppm level using the link I provided above. Test for total ammonia, then figure out where the free ammonia is. The rate at which this rises should slow down dramatically, especially with only one fish (is that right?). The key is that you don't want to change the water during a fish-in cycle until you need to. The truth is that the higher the ammonia (within reason) the faster the bacteria will replicate... So it's a delicate balance.

Yep, so I just tested my water and did a water change and my NItrates are going up! Before the water change, Ammonia .25ppm, Nitrate .25ppm. I think my cycle is beginning to have the nitrate spike. After the change both are at zero.

Nitrite?   

The way I remember is that the last two are in reverse alphabetical order.

I want to start preparing for when i get my next fish in a few months. My tank is currently stocked with a dwarf gourami, and two guppies. What, if anything, do you think I should stock my tank with besides guppies.

I would start a new thread for that. Don't forget to post the dimensions of the tank plus the pH and hardness of your water
smile.png

fluttermoth said:
I would start a new thread for that. Don't forget to post the dimensions of the tank plus the pH and hardness of your water :)
Ok, thanks.

Most reactions

Back