Guppie Babies!

Chaylin

Reaction score
Thursday night I went to Pet Co. and I got a male guppy and a female guppy that was really fat. I also got a breeder net because the lady said she was most likely pregnet. After all, she was the fattest one in there and compared to the others she looked like she was going to explode. When I got them home I went ahead and put the female into the breeder net. Well, yesterday morning I woke up and got dressed and stuff and then went and was eating and stuff and my mom called me into my room. Well, there was about 15 or so babys, about 8 had gotten out of the net cause it wasn't set up right(it's fixed now) and I think 4 got ate cause theres only four in the tank swimming around out of the net. When I got home from school, my dad had taken her out of the net breeder cause she was skinnier and there were a lot of babies in the net. Now I have like, 40 or so babies!! I'm SO excited cause this is the first time I have ever had any baby fry! BTW, whats the normal about of babies guppies have?

~Chelsea

Firstly chelsea - welcome to the forum :D we all hope you enjoy your stay here.

40 fry - wow! I keep guppies but have never seen that many :p I did read somewhere that 25 or so was about right - it looks as if you must have saved most of them from hungry preditors (moms included).

I am sure you will find a 'guppie expert' in here soon with some solid facts.

Do keep us informed of their development please :rolleyes:

Ok, well I'm tired. The usual number for a guppy to have is around 20-30 and the first batch is usually smaller. It appears your guppy has managed to buck all the trends.

Just remmeber to feed the fry about 3X a day with finely powdered fish food and it'll be fine, you can take them out of the breeding tank when the smallest is bigger than the mouth of your biggest fish ;)

Oh yeah I was really excited when I had my first fry too - enjoy!! I just saw a little red speck darting under my bogwater chased by a platy :eek: I've still got her she's adult size now B)

hi there chaylin welcome to the forum, i had a black molly given to me
the other week, she had babies the day after, i put her in my small snail
tank, theres about 28 babies , so cute, i will let them grow on then
exchange them for food stuffs with my lfs,

It must be the water folks. Usually a first time mother will produce
from 20 to 50 fry depending on the strain. Mature mothers in some
strains produce upwards of 120 fry. The good news is that with proper
care and feed this cycle repeats every four weeks. The mother need
only be bred once and she is good for up to four drops. In fact, to change
the genetics of the future fry, she must be hit within two days of the drop
or the previous father will be daddy once more. Hope this helps. I raise
guppies predominately (four pure strains) in forty twenty gallon tanks. :D