Guinea Pig Question

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

scrage

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've had my guinea pig shane for a year or so now. He was given to me by my uncle, who received him from a lady that was trying to return him to a petshop. I know guinea pigs are herd animals, and rather social (Or so I have read) and are better kept in pairs, or trios... but I was wondering... how necessary is this? and if it is necessary, how can I introduce shane to a friend? I'm very unsure of how to go about this. He's not exactly young so will he take to a random piggy? Also, I can't have baby guinea pigs running around... can I get a female piggy that is spay? I'm fairly certain my cage is big enough for two piggies, and shane is very friendly with people and other animals (cats/dogs) so will that help determine if he is good with other piggies?

Go get hima mate, you never know they may have babies :D

Guinea pigs are very social and should, ideally, never live alone.

As Shane is already mature, he is very unlikely to get along with another male. A female, spayed or not, should be fine, but you must introduce them on neutral territory (in a run, or on your lap), not just stick another piggy in his hutch. And you'll need to scrub his hutch, really thoroughly, so it doesn't smell like his house before you put them both in.

Oh, and do remember that female guinea pigs, of over six months or so, mustn't be allowed to breed, if they haven't had a litter already, as their pelvis bones fuse at that age.

Alright, ideally.. I do NOT want babie piggies. My mother would kill me and I just don't have enough friends that want them. Do shelters spay guinea pig females like they do cats and dogs?

In the UK they generally don't, but I have no idea if that's the case in the US.

Guinea pig rescue groups generally spay/neuter before adopting out a guinea pig.  You may be able to find a rescue group in your area.

I heard that Guinea pigs need to keep in a pair and thought a lot about it , but I have no way to support two pigs but I have a dog and there is no nikakis problem with this they get along well and play with each other , although a lot of reading on povol that with other jivotnimi pigs don't get along , it's crazy , but I ran into another problem , my Guinea pig eats a lot of strawberries , I was very worried about this...

I heard that Guinea pigs need to keep in a pair and thought a lot about it , but I have no way to support two pigs but I have a dog and there is no nikakis problem with this they get along well and play with each other , although a lot of reading on povol that with other jivotnimi pigs don't get along , it's crazy , but I ran into another problem , my Guinea pig eats a lot of strawberries , I was very worried about this...
This is an old thread :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back