Gsp Has Black Underbelly (often)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ac106

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Heya all

Seems my GSP has had a back underbelly a lot more often lately. I would say at least a majority of the time. Water stats are fine SG is about 1.010.

any thoughts?

He is fed bloodworms krill and snails and never refuses to eat. He is pretty active in the tank and not at all aggressive. In fact if anything he is sometimes harrassed by my monos but not very often.

here is a pic:

pufferdarkbelly.jpg

People say there are lots of different reason for black underbellies. I'd try a big water change. lighting apparently is a factor as well.

How big is your fish? it looks almost like a T. fluviatilis in that photograph.

Id agree, i was looking at the redish tail and thinking thats not a GSP it looked more like a T. fluviatilis

Is there any chance of a close up shot of this puffers markings, especially markings on top of his head and body. Does he have a uniform black spot either side of the dorsal fin, are there any luminous stripes on top of his head.

Fella, DarkEntity. I have a gut feeling this could be a juvenile T. Sabahensis. Just something about those markings and body shape remind me of my adult one. I could be totally wrong but there looks like a strong resemblance from what I can see in that shot.

Is there any chance of a close up shot of this puffers markings, especially markings on top of his head and body. Does he have a uniform black spot either side of the dorsal fin, are there any luminous stripes on top of his head.

Fella, DarkEntity. I have a gut feeling this could be a juvenile T. Sabahensis. Just something about those markings and body shape remind me of my adult one. I could be totally wrong but there looks like a strong resemblance from what I can see in that shot.

It crossed my mind about T.sabahensis, because of the dark underbelly as well. I'd want to see more photos, but I wouldn't rule it out.

hey guys

i am pretty sure he is a GSP. that picture is deceiving because the angle makes him look smaller then the monos. In reality he is probably close to 5" long

here is a video on youtube taken by my wife

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3E1802ge-JE

here is another pic

IMGP1029.jpg

Yeah the camera is deceptive, i wouldn't say fluviatilis, but I wouldn't rule out sabahensis. mainly because no one really knows anything about them...

Yeah the camera is deceptive, i wouldn't say fluviatilis, but I wouldn't rule out sabahensis. mainly because no one really knows anything about them...

i have been looking up sabahensis all morning. I suppose its possible. How commonly are these traded? i have recently raised the salinity over the last 1.5 months from 1.005 to 1.010.

i dont want to say he has been darker since doing this because i might be imagaing it but its def possible.

sabahensis is freshwater correct? if so, the salinity change might be the problem. how do i tell for sure?

i have been looking up sabahensis all morning. I suppose its possible. How commonly are these traded? i have recently raised the salinity over the last 1.5 months from 1.005 to 1.010.

i dont want to say he has been darker since doing this because i might be imagaing it but its def possible.

sabahensis is freshwater correct? if so, the salinity change might be the problem. how do i tell for sure?

Did it show dark underbelly before you raised the salinity?

Sabahensis are traded incidentally really. I don't know of anyone who has been able to simply order in a whole bunch of them as youngsters, because they look so much like nigroviridis.

The aqualog puffer book mentions them, but there isn't much detail there either.

Is there a realiable way to tell the difference between a T. nigroviridis and a T. Sabahensis?

How does T. Sabahensis handle salt? I can't find a definite answer.

Is there a realiable way to tell the difference between a T. nigroviridis and a T. Sabahensis?

How does T. Sabahensis handle salt? I can't find a definite answer.

Short answer to easily telling them apart is there isn't one.

As for handling salt you wont find a definitive answer, mine I consider to be a Sabahensis is in an SG of 1.004-1.006 depending on water changes. Mine came in 1.004, otheres have arrived in 1.009 and been raised to high end brackish and shown no difference in behaviour or sickness due to the salinity change. IIt's possible this particular species is highly adaptable. I haven't taken mine down to FW yet to see how he copes.

As for identification after reviewing these pics and videos I still think it could be one. Head shape, position of eyes, speckles on tail along with the beginning of black stripes, luminesence on top of head. It just doesnt say GSP to me. Time will tell as his markings develop.

Out of interest at night turn the tank light out and light something like a candle so there is very little light cast on the tank, observe him from a distance and see if his belly goes light.
This is what mine looks like when the tank light is on during the day, belly is usually black.
DSC00965.jpg

However in lower light levels belly goes white. Changes in light source can also cause this to happen.
DSC01116.jpg

If your fish is 5" and does turn out to be a Sabahensis then he has a lot of filling out to do as this specimen including tail is just over 6".
Only time will tell with this one, I cant be sure what yours is but as he ages and grows it will be interesting to see if his markings change.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back