Grumpy Golden Gourami...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Origami Gourami

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Well, my golden gourami has spent most of the last month living a quiet existence at the back of the tank, not bothering anybody. He is the sole survivor of 'The Great Gourami War of 2003' which was fierce and has coloured my view on keeping gouramis in the future. However, he's been peaceful for the last month, even whilst Marlon, the second to last survivor of the war, was beating him up and hassling him. (He expired over a fortnight ago)

Suddenly, for no reason, he's developed an attitude and it's doing my head in. He's hassling my male betta (Jasper) and now chasing Jasps' three new mini ladies around (and they're only little :no: ).

Do I get rid and see if the lfs want him, or do I see if he calms down. I could get him a lady, but I'm happily phasing out the gourami factor... It's a shame, because he's a great specimen, no markings or shabby finnage. I think he may have realised he's the biggest fish now.

PS Great example of Betta Bravery - the gourami had been chasing Jasper, and all poor Jasps did was hide around the plant bases in return. I scooped the gourami into a breeding trap, to give the others a break and let him chill out for a bit. No sooner was he in the trap, when Jasper swam up and flared through the glass at him! It was a total 'Nah-nah' moment! How brave! :flex:

I doubt the "time out room" is going to stop the problem :D . You could remove the betta to a safer container or, as you stated, be done with the gourami thing and find the golder terror a new home. :) Best of luck.

ALASKA

Cheers Alaska,

I want them all to be happy, and if that means one having a happy life elsewhere then that's what's gotta happen I suppose.

Apart from the golden fury, everyone is quite happy in there - even the betta and the red tail shark are best buddies!

:dunno:

Hi Origami Gourami

Please don't blame your gourami for acting like a gourami. :eek:

The problem is that your tank is overcrowded at the top level. Both gouramis and bettas are territorial and claim the same space. There's simply not enough room in your tank for all of them. :no:

Do they get territorial over their level, as, say the shark does over his cave?

I'd not thought about it in those terms before, ie, area in spatial parameters rather than physical hiding spaces and definable areas.

So the introduction of three (albeit) tiny surface dwellers may have ruffled his scales?

I'm not blaming him for being what he is, just that his nature just did a 180 in the last few days. The three dwarves I bought in the early days (only a few neons and two mollies to contend with) were sporadically fierce with each other, whilst the golden was always the docile one.

Good to know, thanks Inchworm! :thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back