Growout of my 90g wide tank

There is no difference in buying crickets for your lizard or roaches. Even mice for your snake. And yes the mice are usually always dead before feeding but it was living at some point. The only difference is. You didnt kill it

I don't see an issue with it really. As long as your not doing it as a challenge for your fish... Like you set up fights. I do wish the fish that @I Like Rare Fish put in were just a little smaller but the bichir seemed to handle it well...

Its amazing how we view fish lives almost in more importance than human lives... We war, we do abortions that AT TIMES are unnecessary, people want to kill one another, and we even hire people to kill sometimes... But fish in a tank noooo we would never because their fish not humans... I just fine it interesting sometimes that we treat something that doesn't have the same mind capabilities as us better than we do ourselves. Obviously I'm not saying not to give proper care to these animals. But it is interesting when you think about it, that we kill other people off on purpose but not fish... Its sad tbh. In the wild these fish would be chasing their food. Of course the prey would have somewhere to run to but if we use a fish that is small enough to hide in the plants, maybe it gives them a fair shot. I wouldn't feed my fish live fish at the moment because you have to feed those guys to "gut load" them and then you also have to make sure their small enough and then there is also worrying about parasites.... Cause if the fish is diseased, your fish will get whatever they had....

But I will leave with this question. What is the difference between feeding your reptiles live things and feeding your fish smaller fish? Or even feeding your fish snails and fruit flies and feeding them smaller fish?
A life is a life no matter what. You can squash a mosquito or roach but it was still a living thing no matter what.

I don't see an issue with it really. As long as your not doing it as a challenge for your fish... Like you set up fights. I do wish the fish that @I Like Rare Fish put in were just a little smaller but the bichir seemed to handle it well...

Its amazing how we view fish lives almost in more importance than human lives... We war, we do abortions that AT TIMES are unnecessary, people want to kill one another, and we even hire people to kill sometimes... But fish in a tank noooo we would never because their fish not humans... I just fine it interesting sometimes that we treat something that doesn't have the same mind capabilities as us better than we do ourselves. Obviously I'm not saying not to give proper care to these animals. But it is interesting when you think about it, that we kill other people off on purpose but not fish... Its sad tbh. In the wild these fish would be chasing their food. Of course the prey would have somewhere to run to but if we use a fish that is small enough to hide in the plants, maybe it gives them a fair shot. I wouldn't feed my fish live fish at the moment because you have to feed those guys to "gut load" them and then you also have to make sure their small enough and then there is also worrying about parasites.... Cause if the fish is diseased, your fish will get whatever they had....

But I will leave with this question. What is the difference between feeding your reptiles live things and feeding your fish smaller fish? Or even feeding your fish snails and fruit flies and feeding them smaller fish?
A life is a life no matter what. You can squash a mosquito or roach but it was still a living thing no matter what
You started with a statemnt saying that you thought there was no problem but then you kind of give a bunch of agruments for the other side lol

And as for war, thats a whole nother topic thats not really comparable to this situation

"It doesn't want to be fed, it wants to hunt"- Alan Grant (Jurassic Park I)
People hunt. Animals try to catch food to survive.
Most animals are opportunistic and most predators (including fish) will scavenge on dead bodies. it's easier than chasing something and wasting energy trying to catch it.

-----------------
A life is a life no matter what. You can squash a mosquito or roach but it was still a living thing no matter what.
Insects irritate the hell out of people and other animals. I have no problem killing them or feeding them to reptiles. Fish don't irritate me and being this is a fish forum where most people keep fish because they like them, it is hard for most of the forum members to see another fish being deliberately fed (alive) to another fish.

Last edited:
You started with a statemnt saying that you thought there was no problem but then you kind of give a bunch of agruments for the other side lol

And as for war, thats a whole nother topic thats not really comparable to this situation
No. I was saying that because people seem to say not to feed live fish to your fish and I said those things because people seem to view fish lives with a very high importance, higher than our own it seems

People hunt. Animals try to catch food to survive.
Most animals are opportunistic and most predators (including fish) will scavenge on dead bodies. it's easier than chasing something and wasting energy trying to catch it.

-----------------

Insects irritate the hell out of people and other animals. I have no problem killing them or feeding them to reptiles. Fish don't irritate me and being this is a fish forum where most people keep fish because they like them, it is hard for most of the forum members to see another fish being deliberately fed (alive) to another fish.
Animals hunt. They can sneak up on prey and then pounce or quickly snag it. And archer fish shoot insects down.
And yes, insects irritate me a ton as well and I kill them when they bite. But what I'm saying is, its still a life and a part of the ecosystem in some way. No matter how how you sugar coat it, you are killing off a life

Hi guys please can we keep this thread focused on ILoveRareFish's journal and mellow out the tone.

Live feeding is a part of the hobby and you dont have to participate in this area of it so if its not for you lets move on. The debate has been had on this forum and many part of the internet and is always contentious. As long as the process is factual and relevant to the wellbeing of the fish and not gratuitous or violent then its accepted as part of the predatory side of our hobby.

Wills

It’s not that I don’t value other fishes lives differently…it’s that don’t have a space for those fish. They need to go somewhere and I would rather have them be a stimulant/food to my predatory fish than give them to an LFS so they can market it for a 2 gallon tank. I personally see it as the food chain.

This is a journal for my fish. Please don’t debate here. You can critique and I will be open about it, but I have my opinions and I see nothing wrong with feeding live fish every other month.

Last edited:
Yes sorry. I agree with all said

My objection to this is the video. Do what you like behind closed doors. But don't film it as soon as you film it and publish it, it then becomes objectionable in my view. Having captive creatures being filmed while eating other creatures isn't right.

My objection to this is the video. Do what you like behind closed doors. But don't film it as soon as you film it and publish it, it then becomes objectionable in my view. Having captive creatures being filmed while eating other creatures isn't right.
That's one opinion. There are others. As Wills said, this isn't the place to argue about it.

Awesome looking fish!

Most reactions

trending

Back