Growing Algae

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Liliano

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi

Apparently you can grow green algae by placing smooth pebbles in a shallow dish of water and leave it outside.

I'm going to give it a go to help with feeding my oto's. Has anyone tried it yet?

One question though, the water that I place the pebbles in, do I need to remove the chlorine first? The article I read about this did not mention any treatments that needed to be done.

This is a new one! I've never heard of anyone that wants more algae! Usually, people are trying to get rid of it. Are you sure there's not enough in your tank for your ottos? Mine do great with the amount they find in the tank, and I've even caught them feeding on the food that drops to the bottom.

Anyhoo... you shouldn't need to dechlorinate the water, because it will dechlorinate itself in a day or so. But on the other hand, there wouldn't be any harm in dechlorinating it.

I'm also guilty of trying to encourage algal growth, but only in my spare 'snailarium' tank.

I've got loaches and, most recently an algae eating shrimp, so it's great to hear that someone else is trying to grow algae, to feed their pets.

For about a week, I'd left my small spare tank by a window ledge and now have an abundant growth of rust-coloured algae. I think I've got enough now, so will be taking it away from the ledge sometime today.

Good luck with yours.

I have a large pot on my balcony with several mangrove seedlings growing in it, the top of the soil is covered with small aquarium gravel and then several inches of water. The balcony is roofed and faces northeast, so there isn't a lot of light, but green algae grows like crazy, so it works if that's what you want to do. If you grow algae outside make sure that pesticides and strong fertilizers don't make their way into your container. No, i don't dechlorinate the water but i would if i was growing the algae for fish, just to be safe.

i'm worried that they are not getting enough, they are always foraging around for food and the singking algae tablets I put in actcutally get eaten and guarded by my rainbows.

I just thought I'd give it a try and give them a treat of some fresh soft algae.

Are those platies or female sword tails in your ava?

I wouldn't be worried about the food, they are foraging because of instinct, in the wild a person wouldn't come up and feed them, so they just look for food.

I have brown algae, and my female platies eat that and occasionally my wcm but it would be cool to add green algae.

They are my female platies (just the box standard variegated i'm afraid)
The orange one (AKA Walt Disney) has taken to one of my plants and nibbles away at it - little bugger.

I thought I'd give it a go and see how I get on - i'll keep you posted

So far I have put 5 or six smooth pebbles in a shallow dish of de-chlorinated water and it is on my windowsil. Should take no more than 5 days to get a good coating of the green stuff :blink:

Has anyone ever heard of UVB bulbs...I had to buy one with my snake, but it puts off ultra violent rays that only the sun and some expesive lights can produce. I have not tried it on my tank but i have thought about it.. I also am thinking of putting live plants in as well so i though maybe that would keep them nice and healthy along with some nice algea for my plecos.. not sure though...any thoughts? :thumbs:

Most reactions

Back