Group of Honey Gourami in a 70L (18.5USG)?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

xxBarneyxx

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
So I'm reading a lot of conflicting information on this and I have never kept any Gourami so have no personal experience to fall back on.

I have a 75cm long 70L heavily planted tank. Currently no fish in at all although a small group of cory's and Lampeye tetera's are likely.

My plan was 1 male + 2 females. However I'm not sure if this tank is going to be big enough for that or if 2 females is enough? Some sources I have looked at said this would be ok but others say they need a bigger tank as they are very active or that 2 females to 1 male would not spread aggression out enough.

Anyone with experience that can let me know if this is a good idea or not?

I think it's a fair enough idea, with the 1:2 ratio of male:females being a standard recommendation, (though remember that I'm going for 1:3 for my Dwarf Gouramis, just because I can).
You're tank is well-planted, you're capable of keeping it properly maintained and will be doing water changes as and when required.

Lots of taller plants provide sanctuary and breaks line-of-sight. I've also got air bubblers in my tank and I remember fish being able to use these to shake off unwanted pursuers.

1 male and 1 female is fine. If you have 2 females they sometimes fight.

If you plan on having lampeyes, then no more than 1pr (male & female) of gouramis, because when they start breeding they will give the lampeyes a hard time.

1 male and 1 female is fine. If you have 2 females they sometimes fight.

If you plan on having lampeyes, then no more than 1pr (male & female) of gouramis, because when they start breeding they will give the lampeyes a hard time.
Thanks. Would a single female not end up getting harassed a lot? I thought that was one of the main reasons for multiple females to 1 male (along with their need for social groups)?

(not disagreeing by the way, I don't have much knowledge of gouramis except what I have read so just wanted to clarify).

When I had honey gouramis over the years, I found that 1m 1f pairs were fine. This species are not as rough as some of the others. The females did get their tails nipped when the males were 'in the mood' bit that's all, and the nips healed quickly. When I tried a 1m 2 f trio, the females caused more trouble by fighting that a male ever did to a single female.

You mention in your journal that you've been thinking about red honeys. I know you mentioned a local breeder so it may be different, but just about all the red honey gouramis in fish stores are really thick lipped gouramis. I have not kept this species of gourami so I can't comment on their male/female interaction; mine were either natural coloured or the yellow variety.

Thanks all, really useful information. Given that's its a fairly small tank 2 would be better than 3.

The guy was calling them Red Robin honey Gouramis but I had read the same about them often being misidentified. Have read on the differences but not sure I would be able to tell myself without have the two side by side.

Anything I should be looking out for?

Depends where you read, red robins are either 100% thick lipped or a honey-thick lipped hybrid. Most sources are of the opinion that those gouramis sold as red honeys or red robin are not pure honeys.
Seriously Fish does have a photos of the red form of thick lipped gourami and the hybrid under honey gourami for comparison.

@Essjay great info. Thanks a lot. Will try and look for the normal honey gourami as that will make things a lot easier. Im not actually bothered about getting one of the "colour morphs". It's just that is what is available.

Think they will be the last fish in the tank anyway so got some times to figure it out.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back