Greetings! I'm Surfer Girl from Oregon.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Surfer Girl

Reaction score
I had a outbreak of itch in my 25 gallon tank. It decimated all but two zebra Danaebo's, a frog and a snail. I have removed the snail and frog into an established and10 gal and I am about to get rid of the last two fish. I have emptied the tank and boiled all the decorations. I removed all the gravel and thoroughly clean the tank. I was advised to not clean the gravel as it would remove the beneficial bacteria. I put the gravel back in and set the tank up again. That was about a month ago and I have not seen the itch come back. I would like to move my 10 gallon betta and my 7 white clouds along with the frog and the snail into the 25 gallon tank. Should I turn the heat up as high as it will go for 10 days to be sure the itch is completely gone? Would that make it safe to put my fish back in? I could leave the fish I have remaining in the 10 gallon tank that they started in but with a established 25 gallon tank all ready to go I think they would all be happier in that one. I'm afraid that the gravel will kill them all. Heat seems to be the best choice. Salt water is bad for the frog and snail so I don't want to do that. What do you guys think? Is a week of high heat enough to make this tank safe?

I had a outbreak of itch in my 25 gallon tank.

I personally stopped using the heat and salt method for ick once I discovered this beauty right here.
upload_2019-11-6_20-49-25.png

I have very limited space for quarantine tanks and I've used this product with success for treating parasitic infections (outer infections, not inner) on my fish and especially as a preventative with new fish before putting them in the main tank. The benefit of herbtana is if the ick outbreak is directly in the tank and the whole thing needs treated is that its safe for your bacterial colony and fish/plants. For serious, life threatening cases, however, I'd perhaps use a stronger medicine in a quarntine tank if heat/salt treatment wont suffice. I'm sure others on here have better suggestions for medications, but medications are a last resort as they are very stressful on the fish and if put directly into your main tank can wreak havoc on your bacteria colony/water parameters. Most medicines arent safe for invertabrates either.

Be warned that the herbtana has an odd, old hippy grandma incense type of smell to your tank that isn't terribly unpleasant but noticeable. It doesn't stain anything either, it just turns the water a bit chalky white for about 10 minutes while it circulates through the tank. Petco sells them in large bottles in store, I've never seen herbtana at Petsmart or walmart.

I have successfully used heat to eradicate ich and think it is better than adding chemicals. Not quite as important in an empty tank but it is cheaper than medication.
I recommend 10-14 days to be safe.

Ick cannot survive without a host. If you have had no fish for a month you have no ick.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back