Greetings From The Twin Cities

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

redpenguin01

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

New to the boards here, just started up my aquarium hobby within the last 3 or 4 months. I do biology academically and chemistry professionally. Still PLENTY to learn. I am already on my second tank, I gave my first one to a friend (looks like I got him started in the hobby as well ;))

My current setup: 20 gallon long tank, aqua clear 20 filter, topfin 100W heater, 17W T5 florescent hood, and a top fin air pump rated for 10 gallons (it was from my last tank).

Current stock: 1 Kuhli Loach, 2 Geophagus, 1 surprisingly aggressive Dwarf Gourami, 2 otos, and 1 African Butterfly fish.

Any suggestions and recommendations are appreciated. I'm sure I'll upgrade everything again as I continue my hobby.
101_1108.jpg

101_1141.jpg

Cheers,
RP01

Welcome - Nice tank,

Recommendations - Geophagus get too big for your tank and will eventually kill the Loach, gourami and possibly the butterfly fish, I would rehome them and up your kuhlis and they like to be in schools.

Don't really know much about your stocking there so cannot help. Adding a backgroun to your tank will dramatically change your tank. Black background are good. Nice bogwood by the way.

The twin cities? Ankh & Morpork?

Yeah its Minnesota. My fish store owner recommended the geophagus' to me because my gourami was being so territorial. He said I can always return them when they get larger and if I don't upgrade my tank, they are pretty small right now. As for the kuhli, I wish they had more that day or else I would've got them. They are very fun to watch.

I'll go look for a black background when I go pick up some more crickets today. Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

yeah a background does really bring a tank to life. i really like them without too. i'll have to get another tank to see yay. nice work on your tank mate looks really good especially for only your second tank. welcome to the forum. rich.

Welcome to the forum! I graduated from Columbia Heights! Where are you? This could prove to be interesting, since we travel down there so much to see my family.

The tank looks good, but what are those square things along the back?

I live down in Eagan, just 10 minutes South of MSP. Feel free to give me a holler sometime.

I actually made the pieces of art in the background, and some in the front. They are fused glass. Basically pre-cut pieces of glass laid on a plate, then thrown in a hot kiln to fuse together. I have a few other pieces that are out of the tank as well. The ones in the back are very Mondrian-inspired if you can't tell.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back