Greenville Guy's Quarantine Tank Fishless Cycle

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Um......riddle me my updated stats now. I have 1 ppm ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 5.00 ppm nitrate. The last time I tested nitrates was at the start of putting the new filter in, and it was measuring zero then.

If that is accurate, the only guess I have is that there were enough mature nitrite-processing bacteria in the mature media I transferred to keep up with the ammonia being processed, but not quite enough ammonia-processing bacteria. I guess every cycle is different.

Yeah, and you have to realize that there are usually some N-Bacs in there right from the start who will be steadily putting out some nitrates, regardless of whatever big up and down things you are seeing with your nitrite testing. --wd--

Nitrates going up with nitrites still zero. Waiting for ammonia to get processed more quickly. Making progress.

Now we're getting somewhere after 26 days! Ammonia processed to zero within 48 hours...nitrites finally spiking, along with nitrates.

You know, no matter how many times I suggest that other forum members be PATIENT during their fishless cycles, it sure is hard to be patient during a fishless cycle!! My first tank took 70 days to cycle, and I thought that this tiny 5 gallon tank, with mature media transferred to it, would cycle in a couple of weeks. But WD was right, it took its time. Looks like a 33 day cycle on this go around.

Ammonia has been processing to zero within 12 hours for a week now, and this morning I just got my first reading of zero on the nitrites, with a nice spike on nitrates to match it. So now I'll go for a week and see if it remains stable. I'm having ammonia issues in my possibly overstocked main tank, so I see some Neon Tetras getting moved into this little tank, at least temporarily until my main tank issues get fixed.

GVG

:good:
Fingers crossed for 7 days of double zeros.
Your not on your own, my aquarium is taking forever to cycle.

Skins.

You and I have had such a similar experience! Really sounds very much like the kind of timings I had just north of you in the Carolinas.

WD B-)

You and I have had such a similar experience! Really sounds very much like the kind of timings I had just north of you in the Carolinas.

WD B-)

Funny how that continues to happen! I'll just hit you up when I do new things so I know what to expect.

GVG

Most reactions

Back