Green Tinted Water?

Spishkey

Spishkeys Turtle Rescue
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
2,000
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Belgium
any idea whats causing this in my 180L tank? no matter how much i clean or change water within days the green tint is back.


help!

i dont have the problem in my 60L or 450L :(
 
Sounds like algae bloom.
Does the tank get any direct sun light? and how long are the lights on in a day?
 
no the tank isnt in sunlight and the lights are on maybe an hour in the evenings. its too hot to have them on right now. the water isnt murky, you can see straight through it, it just has a slight green/yellow tint to it. if i do a big water change, its crystal clear, but by two days later its back withs its tint!
 
i just had the exact same thing, infact i was getting used to the fact that it was never going to be green free, but 2 days ago i tested and it had very high ammonia levels,i have done a 100% WC and thought it had cleared but its going green again,, you can get some stuff called " green away" from interpet, it binds all the algae particles and this enables the filter to pick them up,is there big fish in the tank? as it my oscar tank that i get it with,so maybe thats something to do with it......... hows your fish coming along spishkey, have they all settled into the tank yet?
have you tried putting carbon in the filter?


shelagh xxxx
 
Hi - one of my tanks is just like that, too. No matter what I do, it always had that greenish tint - but I have now resigned myself to it being that way. My water stats are fine, so it's nothing serious causing it. I have a feeling it's to do with the amount of live plants (maybe the type - the long grass sort) in there as the other tanks don't have that amount of plants and they are fine. They are also all located in the same part of the room, so it can't be anything to do with light either.

I was also getting a lot of horrible brown algae on the tank glass and gravel - now have 4 Oto's in there and they are helping to get rid of it.

When I posted a similar topic recently, someone suggested that the green tint could be a sign that my plants were not in good shape. That's possible.

Do you have lots of plants in your tank that might be causing it, too?

Athena
 
yes in that particular tank i have some large plants, and fast growing plants, in the others there are only one or two plants!




as to the oscars - they are right little (or should i say big?!) characters! no one warned me they can jump out of the water!! we have glass panels on the top of the tank which they have found can be knocked off if they jump up and butt them! we have had to weigh them down and are now looking to make a new lid for the tank! we had a territory problem with the catfish but all seems calm now they each have their own cave! still need two catfish identifying, have googled but still no luck!! do have some picks and a video to upload but will have to find the time very soon!!!
 
i just had the exact same thing, infact i was getting used to the fact that it was never going to be green free, but 2 days ago i tested and it had very high ammonia levels,i have done a 100% WC and thought it had cleared but its going green again....
shelagh xxxx

My guess is that the ammonia is the cause. Algae is easy to avoid if you have an idea of what is going to cause it, but a bugger to clear if it is green water.

Forget algicides and buy a UV steriliser.

I had a green water outbreak that was resulted from a water change. My guess was that there were elevated ammonia levels in the tap water that triggered the green water. Once the tap water had cleared, I hit it with huge daily water changes and managed to clear it.

Carbon won`t clear the algae.

Athena, your water may be green because your plants are unhappy and leaching ammonia.

Dave.
 
Athena, your water may be green because your plants are unhappy and leaching ammonia.

Dave.

Shelagh and Athena both test water regularly I believe, so I'm not too sure its that.

Have you guys tested for ammonia?
 
Just to give my 2 pennys worth. I also had this problem, do you have live plants in your tank? I have a living aquarium and found out recently that some moss that i put in the tank was making the water green. I took the moss out and done a 100% water change and sinse then the water has stayed crystal clear. Look at plants or moss or even rocks you may have in the tank. Hope this helps. :good:

Wrams
 
Have you guys tested for ammonia?

I have issues with people running their tanks on test kits, personally. Hobby test kits are rubbish, and its the tank occupants that give the best signals to tank health.

Anyway, I am talking of fluctuating traces of ammonia that are undetectable by hobby test kits, but are sufficient to trigger algae.

Dave.
 
Fair enough, I'm not totally convinced but you may well be right.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top