Green Tiger Barbs

Crazybob

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Aug 17, 2007
Messages
184
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Location
buffalo, ny
hey guys, so im just starting a 75g tank, thats going to be pretty well planted. i also have a 20g with platinum green tiger barbs and a blue lobster and i wanted to get the barbs out because the lobster is trying to attack them.

i would like to have corys, dwarf honey guramis, oto's, flame/lemon tetras, a couple of blue rams, and maybe some livebearers in the tank. would the barbs harass them? or would they get along fine? i currently have 2 but would get between 5-10 if they were to be transfered
 
Barbs might nip guppies and your honeys. Barbs are a sholing fish and need to be in groups of at least 6 minimum (I think it is) anyway. I'm sure someone else will be along with more help for you.
 
I wanted to get some rams, but my local LFS advised against it as my Tiger, albino and green barbs won't like them much. I really want some but i'll have to wait.

Brads
 
Hey Crazybob,


Err well you've got a pretty big tank :)

I agree with that statement "6 barbs min" as they will start to fin nip when they get bored in a small shoal but with a large shoal they will have there own species to play "ruff and tubble". They will generaly leave other tankmates alone. I do not know why the LFS said to not get rams with tiger barbs because I do not think that they will not get along with barbs. Especially in a massive planted tank like you've got :good: so rams is a pretty good idea!

Corys are lovely they always look great and active. They are a peacefull bottom dweller.

Gouramis should be alright with the barbs but im not saying they will be best of pals :crazy: as ong as they have places to get away from the Tigers.
Have you thought about plecs?, kuli loaches?, Kribs?, tetras? - maybe the larger species such as the bleeding heart, congo or diomand tetras.

Really just research some fish.

This websites pretty good for species!

Tom
 
Hi, sounds like it will be a very nice tank. As for the Tiger Barbs, If you keep a group of at least 8, although the more the better, (I currently have 15 in a group 4 different strains and they look amazing) then you will have no problems, even with your guppies. saying this I would just add some sort of floating plant for the guppies to hide in just incase. Mine dont look at anything other than each other and it is one of the best sights I have seen in an aquarium to see 4 different coloured strains all tightly schooling and fighting. Certainly with anymore than 5 Barbs you would have no problem with your rams in that tank
 

Most reactions

Back
Top