Green Terror Vs Fire Mouth

Joshi39

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Sep 13, 2009
Messages
110
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I was told in a previous post that green terrors will not get along with firemouths as green terrors are not south american, which i just read they are!

So ill ask again, will 2 firemouths 2 green terrors, 2 electric yellows and 2 convict cichlids get along? consdering they are all south american cichlids?
 
..how big is the tank? They can get along.. in a tank which is big enough and I most definitely don't know anyone who has a big enough tank and has it set up correctly. Yes, green terrors are SA. If anyone is going to get beaten up, it will be the firemouths by the convicts.

Leave the yellow labs out as they need very different water because they are African Rift Lake Mbuna.
 
Depends on the size of the tank.

I may not be upto date with common names dont know of any Electric Yellows that are SA cichlids, GT's are definitely SA cichlids, Convicts are CA cichlids. Numerous pairs of cichlids can cause grief!!
 
ya thats what i just read, that electric yellows are south american! which is a shame lol! my tank is 3 ft, i know its not big enough but before they get oversized ill upsize my tank.
 
ya thats what i just read, that electric yellows are south american! which is a shame lol! my tank is 3 ft, i know its not big enough but before they get oversized ill upsize my tank.

Electric Yellows are Labidochromis caeruleus, a mbuna cichlid from lake malawi in Africa,

There is no way in hell two, Cons, FMs and GTs will co-exist in a 3 ft tank. In a good sized 4 foot tank you should get away with one of each, but you would need around a 5x2x2 to keep pairs of each of the three
 
see thats what im not understanding, im reading on more than one website that they are compatible with each other aslong as they are kept together from a young age, but when i ask yu guys on here its always different? im not udnerstanding!?????
 
Hi guessing it was my response that prompted this. I never said the green terror was not south american I was saying the yellow labs are not american they are african. Unless it is some other kind of cichlid you have seen with the common name electric yellow - post us a link to the fish you mean and it will help you out. I still stand by my last comment that you would be best off just having the 2 firemouths in the 3 foot tank. Dont buy with the intention of upgrading in the future buy a tank that can suport those fish for life and then if you decide you want a bigger tank then the fish will be happy for a bigger home but dont buy it because you will need a bigger tank for your fish eventually
 
I'd have to agree with Davo. The tank isn't large enough for a pair of each. There simply isn't enough room for them to create territories, and definately not large enough if they decide to breed.

I would trust Davo's experiences to be correct against what some website has said.
 
see thats what im not understanding, im reading on more than one website that they are compatible with each other aslong as they are kept together from a young age, but when i ask yu guys on here its always different? im not udnerstanding!?????

Nobody is disputing the fact that they can live together, What we are saying is that they simply Will Not live together in a 3ft tank, no matter how short term it will be.

As i'm sure you know, single cichlids will take up an area of space as their territory, pairs however will take up 3-4 times this space, and in a small tank tankmates that have nowhere to go, only have two options, fight or be killed

This link will show you what can happen, and bear in mind this is in a 130G (492 Litre)
GT thread
 
I have 2 firemouths 2 green terrors and 3 yellow labs in my tank along with 30 odd other fish...200 litre 4 foot tank and I have no trouble with any fish fighthing...I saw a fight the other day between 2 of my clown loachs and that's been it...I think that some of you need to relax a bit...not all fish will fight... Get whatever fish you want joshi
 
Lukey88, That's not a very sensible answer!

Joshi has come on this forum to ask the advice of the many experienced fishkeepers, of which I'm guessing your not judging by your tank stocking. Not only have you got a dangerous situation regading your cichlids but you've also got clown loaches in a tank which is only half the size they need!

If I got whatever fish I wanted, I'd have an Oscar and 6 bala's in my 33 gal, does that sound ok? Obviously not so telling someone to get 'whatever fish they want' isn't really welcomed on a hobbyist forum

Andy
 
Everyone is entitled to there own opinion it takes years loaches to grow big and when they do I'll sell them back to a fish shop. Like I plan to do with any of my fish that starts to get aggressve or to big...it's not the end of the world if a fish fights. Mine are and have been fine for months...
 
That's like saying that you will adopt a few kids, and take them back whenever they fight or grow too big. Fishkeeping is about responsibility too. If you can't even be responsible for your fish then you shouldn't give advice. My 2 cents anyways.
 
I know it's not the end of the world but fish are still pets as are dogs, you wouldn't raise dogs in situation where they were likely to get hurt.

Thats the difference between fish keepers and hobbyists, a hobbyist wouldn't put the fish in that dangerous situation in the first place.

Andy
 
I know it's not the end of the world but fish are still pets as are dogs, you wouldn't raise dogs in situation where they were likely to get hurt.

Thats the difference between fish keepers and hobbyists, a hobbyist wouldn't put the fish in that dangerous situation in the first place.

Andy
 

Most reactions

Back
Top