Green Severums

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

recDNA

Reaction score
I noticed today that one of the Severums has taken over half the tank. Sure enough, there are eggs. Unfortuately, I have no place to put them (community tank - fry have no chance). Too bad because the eggs are on a glass log I could easily move in a bucket if I had another tank ready to go.

Only one Severum guards. His or her mate has been driven away. It is the most colorful and aggressive Severum. I assume the male??? (yes it is - I checked the exposed reproductive tubes)

I am always pleased to see spawning. Tank must be in decent shape.

I picked them up cheap at a superstore just to save them.Sheer luck I picked a male and a female. The eggs appear fertile so I'm sure there must be one of each.

2589.jpg

2531.jpg

2591.jpg

2590.jpg

congratulations on the spawn. always is cool to get fish to spawn. you might get a few of them to grow out. do you have a spare ten gallon that you could put some of the fry in or a peice of rock with hidey holes for them to take refuge?

maggie

I not only do not have a spare 10 g I don't have a spare inch to put it on! Wifey has me shut off as far as new tanks go. I'm surprised at how aggresively Dad guards the eggs. I always thought Severums were very peaceful.

alot of the sa/ca are wonderful parents and will protect their young. convicts are the same way. very peaceful til they spawn.

I have one male convict that kills every female I put in with him. I even tried putting in 3 at once and he went after all of them. One died the first night and I had to remove the other 2. It's a shame because he is my prettiest male. Very nice purple color when spawning.

Rearrange the tank completely before trying again. This will force them all to form new territories. How big is the tank? Is it big enough? Try and get the fish to set up territory at the ends of the tank, they will then include the outside of the tank as part of their domain, thus leaving more space for the other inhabitants. :)

I even tried moving him into the females' tank (55 gal). He still went after them and definned one completely over night.

hey,

Congrats, I love green sevs.. one of my fav. south american cichlids.

I am very glad you saved them from a superstore and gave them such a good environment they are spawning.

A few suggestions:

I know you mentioned your wife is not inclined to see your hobby expand to another aquarium but my experience with cichlids spawning in community settings lends me to think that you might want to reach some compromise in that area.

Sevs are devoted parents and will attempt to defend the eggs and fry but chances are they simply wont be able to withstand the onslaught of the other fish.

The eggs often fungus in a community setting as well but having said all that they may well be able to hide a few of the young and raise them to a self sufficient stage.

The main problem I have had in this area with cichlids [not severums] is that once the babies are on their way the pair is well under the process of starting another spawn and the previous spawn is treated as a threat to the new one.

Often the parents will attack the young of a previous spawn to defend their new eggs.

Here is the compromise.. if you have a ten to twenty gallon to net out the surviving youn at about 4 weeks of age you can raise them up to saleable size in that environment before the parents start laying the second clutch of eggs.

Also, keep lots of baby brine [frozen is fine] in the tank as soon as they are eating.. they eat lots and severums grow fast.

What great fish.. I hope you find good homes for all of them. I don't know how big your tank is but they can get big..almost 8 inches

Aquatrippe

The problem is I already have several 20's I'm using to grow out various other progeny! I don't really blame her. I really didn't intend to breed this fish.

Most reactions

Back