Green is out, Brown is in.

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

aquamanis said:
Brown algae and Green algae never seem to be together, I might be wrong but most people here say they get rid of one and then the other becomes active. Is there a relationship between the two?
In low light, brown algae has the advantage and uses up all the nutrients so green algae can't grow at all (it can grow a little in low light if it has nutrients). In high light conditions, the green algae has the advantage and uses up all the nutrients so the brown algae can't grow.

Alien Anna said:
In low light, brown algae has the advantage and uses up all the nutrients so green algae can't grow at all (it can grow a little in low light if it has nutrients). In high light conditions, the green algae has the advantage and uses up all the nutrients so the brown algae can't grow.
I wonder if the light spectrum has a bearing on it then?

aquamanis said:
I wonder if the light spectrum has a bearing on it then?
I wouldn't mind betting it has, although its the light intensity that's probably the main issue.

Let me share my experience with brown algae. mine too, covered the gravel, the leaves of my plastic plants, and every rock in the 37 gallon aquarium.

In the beginning, I had a 20watt light on the tank. I heard the low light cause thing, and decided to give a lighting upgrade a shot. I went and got a 65w/130w compact flourescent light (runs at either setting). Very nice light, BUT, the brown algae bloomed like crazy even with the super bright lights. I did notice however, there was some green algae mixed in with the brown now with the brighter light.

I added a super big ruffle swordplant, because I also read that perhaps a live plant would outcompete the brown algae for nutrients. But once again, no such luck, and the brown algae actually grew on the leaves of the swordplant... besides, my barbs are quickly making a meal of the swordplant, but that's another story :)

come phase three... I got a cuckoo catfish, and a redtail shark one day while at the LFS... both of them love to eat this brown algae. they eat all day, all night. and have cleared up most of it.

with the help of these two fish, and stirring up the gravel a little when i vacuum and do water changes, along with scraping any algae off the glass, i've been able to control it to some extent. it's still there, still coming back, but kinda under control.

My hunch is it's got something to do with my tap water, perhaps silicates like SMB has said. But as long as the brown algae isn't bad for the water quality, it doesn't look so bad now that it's semi under control. it gives a pretty natural looking quality to everything in the tank!

- kip

skiltrip said:
I added a super big ruffle swordplant, because I also read that perhaps a live plant would outcompete the brown algae for nutrients. But once again, no such luck, and the brown algae actually grew on the leaves of the swordplant... besides, my barbs are quickly making a meal of the swordplant, but that's another story :)
To "outcompete" algae with plants you would need much more than one plant. Swordplants are especially bad at reducing the nutrients in the water column (which cause algae blooms) since they are root feeders. Better suited for this task are stem plants or floating nutrient sponges like Riccia.
The problem is they would be all too tasty for your barbs :fun:

Most reactions

Back