Green is out, Brown is in.

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Calusa

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Grrr. Finally tackeled the green algae infestation.. thanks to SMB. However, now my issue is that pesky brown algae that began to appear yesterday... any tips/tricks?

You seem to have upset the algae Gods or something, Calusa, because this just doesn't seem fair. ;)

Brown Algea (Diatoms) are usually caused by a couple things, silicic acid, silicate and excess nutrients. Silicic acids are in the tapwater and sometimes over time silicates will leach from substrate.

im the opposite...I had a brown algae invasion and got it cleared up...now I have some green algae problem....with the brown I just cleaned the decorations really well and cleaned the glass every 3-4 days....

smb said:
Brown Algea (Diatoms) are usually caused by a couple things, silicic acid, silicate and excess nutrients. Silicic acids are in the tapwater and sometimes over time silicates will leach from substrate.
How can we test if there's silicic acids in the tapwater or silicic acid IS present in all tapwaters?

So there's no way to get rid of brown algae if silicic acid is the cause? -_-

I use Ottos to sort out my algae problems. As soon as I put them in my tank they devoured the diatoms that were present. I've heard that Ottos don't eat 'brown algae' but mine certainly did!
Ottos will sort the problem out, as in keep the algae in check, but you must attack the cause of the problem to beat it.
If you have problem tap water you could try using RO water in your changes. I'm thinking of doing that as I have very high phosphate levels in my tap water and I'm having a problem with cyanobacteria (blue-green algae). Nothing will eat that stuff as it's mildly poisonous to the fish.

WK

Waterloo Kid said:
I use Ottos to sort out my algae problems. As soon as I put them in my tank they devoured the diatoms that were present. I've heard that Ottos don't eat 'brown algae' but mine certainly did!
Sometimes people call brush/hair algae "brown algae", but the sort we're discussing is diatoms that almost all algae-eating fish will devour, including mollies, corys, barbs and plecos.

[quote name='Flippin'thing bit me eye' date='Sep 19 2003, 11:06 AM']Brown algae occurs if the tank does not recieve enough light, trust me[/quote]
I agree that that is 1 possibility but not the only one. Low levels of oxygen is another plus an excess of nutrients, silicates and silicic acid.

I would increase lighting tho as it could be the problem. Also, use a silicate adsorbing resin in your filter. Step up the water changes to at least once-twice a week and one of these solutions should help the problem go away. Then I would keep the lighting on more often or buy a new one and see if it stays away. If it comes back, then it's another possibility. This way you can troubleshoot the problem.

I hate my brown algae but I don't think it hurts the tank does it? I am kinda getting used to it and it makes my fake plants look a little less plastic.

pondfreak4365 said:
I was told that the brown stuff growing in the substrate is 'good bacteria'. Is this bad info? -_-
Yes because its not bacteria and a tank can be perfectly healthy without brown algae. The beneficial bacteria aren't actually visible.

ok, now the water is all dingy.. what should I do? This is driving me nuts- they told me a 75 gallon would be easier maintenence wise than a 5 gallon because it's more stable...

Calusa said:
ok, now the water is all dingy.. what should I do? This is driving me nuts- they told me a 75 gallon would be easier maintenence wise than a 5 gallon because it's more stable...
Sounds like bacterial bloom. Yes, a bigger tank is much more stable once you get it stable, but it sounds like this tank is cycling. How are your nitrite levels now?

Brown algae and Green algae never seem to be together, I might be wrong but most people here say they get rid of one and then the other becomes active. Is there a relationship between the two?

Most reactions

Back