Green House

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

corylover5

Fish Herder
2x Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I know this isn't related to fish stuff but I want to start up a small green house :) I would use it to grow herbs for my bunny and some vegetables for my family. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about using a greenhouse or if there is anything I should know before getting plants for it. Thanks in advance!
This is the Green house I am looking at right now :) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FC7JWVP/?tag=ff0d01-20
This is the thermometer I am looking to get for the green house https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08D8LNQ9P/?tag=ff0d01-20

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Don't waste your time buying that greenhouse or thermometer. The greenhouse is too small to be of any practical use and smaller ones heat up much quicker and cook the plants. Thermometers aren't needed unless you live in a very hot or very cold climate. Even then you can tell if it's too hot or cold by going in the greenhouse. If it's too hot or too cold for you, then it's going to be the same for the plants.

You can make a greenhouse out of steel, wood that has been painted, aluminium or pvc pipe. Just cover it in a sheet of clear builder's plastic.

Have doors at each end so you can open them up and let the heat out during hot weather.

Have some shade cloth to go over the top when it's hot outside.

Put a sheet of black builder's plastic on the ground so it heats up faster in cold climates.

Have raised garden beds in it or shelves with pots. You don't need shelves but they can provide more room for pots in the same area. Put pots in big trays so they hold more water and nutrients. I use 30cm plastic pots and sit them in 50cm trays. The trays are normally used for bigger pots but I put small pots in big trays so there is more water for the plants. This is more important in hot or dry conditions.

Use a liquid plant fertiliser at half strength once a week. Water the pots and let the trays fill up. This gives the plants a few days of nutrient rich water. The rest of the week they have plain water with no fertiliser.

---------------------
Most herbs don't like humidity and don't do well in sealed greenhouses because it gets too hot and humid. You can put herbs in greenhouses during cold weather but watch for mould and fungal infections. In summer, herbs should be given really good air flow.

Good plants to grow in greenhouses include chillis & capsicum (peppers for the Americans), tomatoes, root vegetables (carrots, onions, garlic, sweet potatoe), green leafy vegetables, and strawberries. These can all be grown in pots.

You can grow rockmelons in pots too and put up a frame so they can grow upwards instead of across the ground. When the fruit appears, you support it with mesh bags that are hung from the frame.

With fruiting plants, if you want small fruit have lots of flowers and fruits on the plants. If you want bigger fruit, remove most of the flowers and fruit so the plant puts its energy into fewer fruit that will be bigger.

Don't waste your time buying that greenhouse or thermometer. The greenhouse is too small to be of any practical use and smaller ones heat up much quicker and cook the plants. Thermometers aren't needed unless you live in a very hot or very cold climate. Even then you can tell if it's too hot or cold by going in the greenhouse. If it's too hot or too cold for you, then it's going to be the same for the plants.

You can make a greenhouse out of steel, wood that has been painted, aluminium or pvc pipe. Just cover it in a sheet of clear builder's plastic.

Have doors at each end so you can open them up and let the heat out during hot weather.

Have some shade cloth to go over the top when it's hot outside.

Put a sheet of black builder's plastic on the ground so it heats up faster in cold climates.

Have raised garden beds in it or shelves with pots. You don't need shelves but they can provide more room for pots in the same area. Put pots in big trays so they hold more water and nutrients. I use 30cm plastic pots and sit them in 50cm trays. The trays are normally used for bigger pots but I put small pots in big trays so there is more water for the plants. This is more important in hot or dry conditions.

Use a liquid plant fertiliser at half strength once a week. Water the pots and let the trays fill up. This gives the plants a few days of nutrient rich water. The rest of the week they have plain water with no fertiliser.

---------------------
Most herbs don't like humidity and don't do well in sealed greenhouses because it gets too hot and humid. You can put herbs in greenhouses during cold weather but watch for mould and fungal infections. In summer, herbs should be given really good air flow.

Good plants to grow in greenhouses include chillis & capsicum (peppers for the Americans), tomatoes, root vegetables (carrots, onions, garlic, sweet potatoe), green leafy vegetables, and strawberries. These can all be grown in pots.

You can grow rockmelons in pots too and put up a frame so they can grow upwards instead of across the ground. When the fruit appears, you support it with mesh bags that are hung from the frame.

With fruiting plants, if you want small fruit have lots of flowers and fruits on the plants. If you want bigger fruit, remove most of the flowers and fruit so the plant puts its energy into fewer fruit that will be bigger.
Thank you. I didn't even think about the fact that a small green house would probably cook the plants. I don't have much room to build a Greenhouse and even that little one was pushing it.
Where I live it never really gets too cold or too hot. Plants I was looking to grow include Basil, Mint, Italian Parsley, Cilantro, Jalapenos, Ghost Pepper, Carolina Reapers, Habaneros, and possibly Tomatoes. Would they do well without a greenhouse?
Would this be a good fertilizer to use? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RNENU8/?tag=ff0d01-20
Thanks again! :)

Thank you. I didn't even think about the fact that a small green house would probably cook the plants. I don't have much room to build a Greenhouse and even that little one was pushing it.
Where I live it never really gets too cold or too hot. Plants I was looking to grow include Basil, Mint, Italian Parsley, Cilantro, Jalapenos, Ghost Pepper, Carolina Reapers, Habaneros, and possibly Tomatoes. Would they do well without a greenhouse?
Would this be a good fertilizer to use? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RNENU8/?tag=ff0d01-20
Thanks again! :)

The peppers, definitely! I'd highly recommend chileplants.com for your peppers. Excellent company that has always done me right. I grow lots of superhots every year (and a few varieties fit for mortal men).

As far as fertilizer, I always liked Alaska fish emulsion. Dirty fish water (assuming that you don't use any chemicals) works too.

As for the herbs, what about setting up an aquaponics setup on one of your tanks?

After @Colin_T wrote that, I don't know if anybody can add anything. But don't be afraid to have a play with stuff. I like playing with carnivorous plants for example, others play with cactus.

A friend of mine built a greenhouse out of discarded house windows and turned out great! Open during the warm days, closed during winter months and plants changed accordingly.

This may give you ideas:
I like the old windows green house that is really nice and cheap.

Have you ever thought about building a green house using pvc pipe and fittings. That way it could be as large or small as you want. You could use some type of plastic sheeting to cover it with, just a thought.

A friend of mine built a greenhouse out of discarded house windows and turned out great! Open during the warm days, closed during winter months and plants changed accordingly.

This may give you ideas:
That's such a cool idea! I'll definitely look into that!
The peppers, definitely! I'd highly recommend chileplants.com for your peppers. Excellent company that has always done me right. I grow lots of superhots every year (and a few varieties fit for mortal men).

As far as fertilizer, I always liked Alaska fish emulsion. Dirty fish water (assuming that you don't use any chemicals) works too.

As for the herbs, what about setting up an aquaponics setup on one of your tanks?
Thanks! I will have a look at the website :) As for the aquaponics in one of my tanks that sounds really cool! I have no idea how I would do that though. My only concern is that I would need to remove my tank lid and my mystery snails are little escape artists when looking for a place to lay eggs. And for using dirty tank water as fertilizer that's a really good idea! Would the herbs be ok for my bunny to eat though if I used tank water? The only chemical I use is Prime and I still have some General Cure in my water after treating my fish for illness. Thanks!

That's such a cool idea! I'll definitely look into that!

Thanks! I will have a look at the website :) As for the aquaponics in one of my tanks that sounds really cool! I have no idea how I would do that though. My only concern is that I would need to remove my tank lid and my mystery snails are little escape artists when looking for a place to lay eggs. And for using dirty tank water as fertilizer that's a really good idea! Would the herbs be ok for my bunny to eat though if I used tank water? The only chemical I use is Prime and I still have some General Cure in my water after treating my fish for illness. Thanks!

I can't personally give you an answer on Prime and General Cure. But for aquaponics, it can be as simple as growing them in a HOB filter or shower caddy attached to the back or an elaborate custom lid that covers the entire top. It would be a great conversation starter, no doubt. I'm tempted to build a custom aquaponics top for my 40B.

I can't personally give you an answer on Prime and General Cure. But for aquaponics, it can be as simple as growing them in a HOB filter or shower caddy attached to the back or an elaborate custom lid that covers the entire top. It would be a great conversation starter, no doubt. I'm tempted to build a custom aquaponics top for my 40B.
It is really easy to do, just use your imagination and go for it. Lettuce growing out of your HOB sounds cool.

It would probably do. If you could find something with a bit more nitrogen (up to about 20% nitrogen) it would be better, but 12% nitrogen is fine. Nitrogen encourages leaf growth. If you use aquarium water (as suggested by Flushable Pets) will add a bit of nitrogen to the soil too.

The main thing I am concerned about is the heavy metals like manganese EDTA. I checked the website on the container and it didn't work, so I would find out what EDTA is and if it's safe for people.

This is the fertiliser I use. I has a bit more nitrogen but the phosphorus and potassium are similar. The trace elements are a little different but most of the nutrients plants require are nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium.

As mentioned above, nitrogen encourages leaf and stem growth. Phosphorus encourages root development and helps thicken the cell walls. Potassium encourages flowers and fruits and also helps the overall health of the plant.

If you are growing lawns you have more nitrogen. If growing root vegetables like carrots, potatoes and onions, you have a bit more phosphorus. If you are growing fruit or flowers, you have a bit more potassium.

---------------------
Don't grow herbs in hydroponic systems because the plants don't like wet feet (water logged roots).

---------------------
As for the aquaponics in one of my tanks that sounds really cool! I have no idea how I would do that though. My only concern is that I would need to remove my tank lid and my mystery snails are little escape artists when looking for a place to lay eggs. And for using dirty tank water as fertilizer that's a really good idea! Would the herbs be ok for my bunny to eat though if I used tank water? The only chemical I use is Prime and I still have some General Cure in my water after treating my fish for illness. Thanks!
Aquarium dechlorinators are fine for terrestrial plants and are not toxic for the rabbit. Metronidazole and other anti-biotics will get into the potting mix and the plants and can change the DNA of the bacteria in the soil and make them drug resistant.

Malachite Green, Formaldehyde and other toxic chemicals used in standard fish medications will also get into the plant and this is not good for anything eating the plant or its fruit.

Last edited:
regarding your earlier question of wondering whether you can still grow stuff outdoors in your climate: if you are in the USA, you can look up your USDA hardiness zone, and match your plants to that. I have seen in some garden forums that people in the UK either have a similar system or use a cross mapping and they discuss hardiness zones as well. If you do not have a hardiness zone for your area, then you should be able to find the average lows/highs and precipitation for your region from your local weather station or national weather forecast authority, and match that against the USDA chart to get the approximate hardiness zone. This can be a useful rule of thumb for determining what plants will be able to grow outside all year long. (as I write this, I am looking out the window at the mustard in our garden that is starting to peek its green leaves through the melting snow haha).

If you grow in containers and you only get a few frosts/year, you may be able to simply move your plants inside overnight on nights when a frost is predicted (some folks even permanently leave their pots on wagons to help with moving them), and that way you should be able to grow your peppers and herbs year round!

Finally, have you considered indoor growing? Herbs especially are very happy just on a windowsill (and if you are in a warmer climate you should get enough light through your windows to not need a grow light). On the other end of the spectrum, I set up at 40gal cement mixing tub in our basement and got a grow light for it, and I am currently growing radishes (which are taking over everything, poor planting planning on my part), lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes (the cukes and tomatoes are an experiment), turnips, beets (probably wont produce, but will at least have beet greens), swiss chard, winter cress, dill, basil and broccoli (Which was transferred in a pot from our yard). there are many avenues for gardening!!

It would probably do. If you could find something with a bit more nitrogen (up to about 20% nitrogen) it would be better, but 12% nitrogen is fine. Nitrogen encourages leaf growth. If you use aquarium water (as suggested by Flushable Pets) will add a bit of nitrogen to the soil too.

The main thing I am concerned about is the heavy metals like manganese EDTA. I checked the website on the container and it didn't work, so I would find out what EDTA is and if it's safe for people.

This is the fertiliser I use. I has a bit more nitrogen but the phosphorus and potassium are similar. The trace elements are a little different but most of the nutrients plants require are nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium.

As mentioned above, nitrogen encourages leaf and stem growth. Phosphorus encourages root development and helps thicken the cell walls. Potassium encourages flowers and fruits and also helps the overall health of the plant.

If you are growing lawns you have more nitrogen. If growing root vegetables like carrots, potatoes and onions, you have a bit more phosphorus. If you are growing fruit or flowers, you have a bit more potassium.

---------------------

Don't grow herbs in hydroponic systems because the plants don't like wet feet (water logged roots).

---------------------

Aquarium dechlorinators are fine for terrestrial plants and are not toxic for the rabbit. Metronidazole and other anti-biotics will get into the potting mix and the plants and can change the DNA of the bacteria in the soil and make them drug resistant.

Malachite Green, Formaldehyde and other toxic chemicals used in standard fish medications will also get into the plant and this is not good for anything eating the plant or its fruit.
Thanks! for the fertilizer, I found this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GWJRU38/?tag=ff0d01-20 would that work better? :) I won't use water from my 29 gallon tank (since that's the one with the medication) Instead I will use the water from my Betta tanks.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back