Green Fire Tetras

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Caprichoso

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I've had my school of green fire tetras for a few months now and they are doing great. Unfortunately, they have nibbled off all the roots of my water lettuce! I didn't realize they were doing this at first, I thought they were just browsing a bit but I noticed a couple of them with the roots sticking out of their mouths :drool: . Now, all my water lettuce have very short roots and they are not growing very big anymore. I'm not looking for a solution here because there isn't one lol...short of getting rid of the fish(which I won't do). I just mainly wanted to share my experience and to see if anyone else has this happening with their fire tetras too.

On a side note, now I realize why they are top dwellers in my tank! So if you want top dwellers, add green fire tetra+water lettuce. I don't know the variety of lettuce I have, it's NOT the really large stuff you see in outdoor ponds. The leaves are flat on the surface and have little hairs on them. They propagate by little side shoots that break off and grow on their own. My original plants grew to be about 4 inches in diameter but now that the roots are getting chewed, they only get to be about 1.5 inches in diameter.

Thanks for reading

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back