Green cory catfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

This is why it is always important to state the Latin names of fish when talking about them. It stops any confusion.

This is an earlier pic

Attachments

• 16146625469034619366405370477316.jpg
    16146625469034619366405370477316.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 65
This is an earlier pic
Yep, Corydora aeneus, also known as the Bronze Cory, I've also heard them referred to as green cories in some places too though. Common names can be confusing! I assumed bronze since it looked like a bronze in the earlier pics and I knew some people call them green cories.

Oh she was definitely full of eggs and I have a pepper thats just as big so this will be fun. When they hatch how long till I have to feed em?

Do you know yet what you plan to feed them?

Depends on how long they take to hatch, if you can see whether they've absorbed the yolk sac yet, that can help.

I've heard that it takes 2-3 days for them to finish absorbing the yolk sac, so to feed them on day two or three. But both batches I had hatched over two days, and I couldn't tell whether some might have finished absorbing the yolk soon after hatching. So I decided to add some First Bites to their container the day after the first one hatched. Just in case. They're so tiny, I didn't want to risk them starving. But I made that choice because I knew I would be cleaning out their container and water changing it, so I could remove any uneaten food and keep the water quality good.

I really recommend if you can, adding a small amount of sand from the parent tank, and even better, some Indian almond leaves and/or moss that has been in the parent tank for a while. There are all sorts of tiny micro-organisms that grow on things like plant matter and decaying almond leaves that fry can eat, and I'm sure that the fact I did that this time round improved the survival rate of my wrigglers.

Well, I can't be 100% sure, but it certainly didn't harm them, and I hope that that way, there's likely to be a good supply of micro organisms there that they can eat between feedings.

It's important to add some sand from the parent tank to the fry container once they're seven days old. Must be from the parent or an established tank, not new, unused sand, since there are good bacteria in the established sand that improve fry survival rates compared to ones raised in a bare bottom tank.

Again, hedging my bets this time since I lost a lot of wrigglers last time, I decided to add a very thin layer of sand to my fry tank on day one, figuring it won't hurt, but might help.

Take a look at this thread from when mine first spawned last October, and I was panicky beginner. There's a lot of chatter you have to scan past I'm afraid, sorry! But @CassCats gave a lot of awesome advice about raising cory fry, including a bunch of helpful links to more information about raising them, foods, adding sand etc :)

I was gonna change out the lil gravel I have in my main tank and put all sand when I got to petsmart this week

I have dry brine shrimp and I can hatch brine shrimp I was gonna do ether 1
Sounds good! I've not done BBS myself yet, I use micro and banana worms, and Hikari First Bites, but I know @Deanasue uses BBS with hers, and they're thriving :D
I was gonna change out the lil gravel I have in my main tank and put all sand when I got to petsmart this week

I assume you can add a little gravel to their container after a few days... @Deanasue what do you think? The important part is that it's 'weathered', as in, has been in an established tank for a while, and grown bacteria, so the new sand won't really help. If you're using gravel though, my first thought it that you'd have to be careful not to accidentally injure the wrigglers when adding it or when cleaning, they're so small. I'd only use a tiny amount if you use the gravel...

Just out of interest why would you want to feed "first bites" and put all that stuff in your tank, have you read the ingredient list.

Fish Meal, Monosodium Phosphate, Zinc Sulfate, P-Aminobenzoic Acid, Silicon Dioxide, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Sulfate, Niacin, Wheat Flour, Krill Meal, Salt, Calcium Iodate, Biotin, Inositol, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Brewers Dried Yeast, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Stabilized Vitamin C), Magnesium Sulfate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, DL-Methionine, Choline Chloride, Spirulina, Dried Seaweed Meal, Rice Bran, Astaxanthin, Garlic, Soybean Meal, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Disodium Phosphate

I love the Copper Sulfate, wheat flour, Vitamin B12, Rice Bran, and especially the Salt,( that makes it taste better for the fry) .

Looking forward to seeing how all that brine shrimp you guys feed your young cory's serve them in their later life, as cory's hate salt.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back