Greasy Film On Surface

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

julia298

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all,

Have done some searches on this surface film, and found lots of people with heavy planting and EI dosing have had this (which I also do).

Except im pretty sure I can pin point when this film appeared in my tank - and thats when I used vasoline to grease the o ring in filter. So i tried to clean all the vasoline out and bought some silicone o ring grease used for diving equipment. Problem seems to be just as bad if not worse.

Every day Im doing the paper towel thing or syphoning off the grease. Next day its back again.

Its very frustrating - my plants aren't getting the light and they certainly dont pearl if i leave the film on the surface.
So yesterday, I flushed out the o ring with 'quite hot' water and am going to pay the price for eheim lub!

In the meantime any other ideas how to get rid of this stuff?

Thank
Julia

Continue the way you are going and do 10% or so water changes daily to help dilute what ever is causing it.

you could start surface skimming using an over flow with some floss. or you could buy an attachment for the external to skim the surface.

increase surface agitation slightly but not too much, and if your dosing CO2 up it a little if you increase surface agitation

You can create some surface turbulence and that will get rid of it. But that will also get rid of any CO2 you are adding. A company called Tunze do a surface skimmer for marine tanks. It takes water from the surface and pumps it back into the tank. It doesn't create any surface turbulence but will remove the scum.

Thanks for your comments guys.

Have thought about a surface skimmer, but if it pumps the water back into the tank then I'll never really get rid of the stuff... right? :unsure:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back