Gravel Cleaning Without Siphoning Water Out

tibby25731

Fish Herder
Joined
Jan 13, 2008
Messages
1,766
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Manchester, England
My 4ft tank always seems full of poo only a few days after the weekly water change, this is mainly due to my beloved pleco :P
I've had one of those cheap battery operated gravel cleaners with a bag on it, and it did the job, but broke after a few uses! It was really hard to maintain where the water level was up to as I tried to negotiate plants and ornaments. Can anyone recommend a gravel cleaner to use mid week without siphoning water off? I don't mind if it is expensive, I just need to know what is best for the job! I am sure I can get someting on ebay for a decent price but I wanna know who recommends what!

Thanks everyone
 
Personally (unlike you, I don't have the cash to spare) I'd just use a regular gravel syphon into a small bucket, pick up pour the water through some old next curtain back into the tank, and rinse the curtain out.

I daresay theres something out there that does it with a bit less messing about though, I'm sure someone will know of something.
 
My 4ft tank always seems full of poo only a few days after the weekly water change, this is mainly due to my beloved pleco :P
I've had one of those cheap battery operated gravel cleaners with a bag on it, and it did the job, but broke after a few uses! It was really hard to maintain where the water level was up to as I tried to negotiate plants and ornaments. Can anyone recommend a gravel cleaner to use mid week without siphoning water off? I don't mind if it is expensive, I just need to know what is best for the job! I am sure I can get someting on ebay for a decent price but I wanna know who recommends what!

Thanks everyone


My tank is 24ins deep and I have tried other gravel vacs, each one has stopped working after a short time due to the battery compartment getting submerged during cleaning. I recently bought a eheim gravel vac, it can be completely submerged as battery compartment is waterproof, takes 4 batteries it has an extension tube which means it can be 24ins.long if required, it is easy to clean. I have so far been pleased with results ,price i paid was £34 95 have seen them at higher price though. bought mine from charterhouse aquatics(on line) . came with batteries
Jackie
 
Thank you both! Jackie, I was looking at the Eheim on ebay a while back, thought it looked good. I am getting a small bonus in work soon, £75 - hopefully! - so I think I will use the money for one of these, and also a Python... I'll only have to put a small amount towards it. That will be my tank cleaning revolutionised! :P
Any other input? :)
 
I have the Hagen battery operated one, and it has been submersed numerious times past the 'water line' and is still working well.


I'm guessing thats the one you were using, maybe you could try another one if you cant find a good replacement (if you do let us know!)
 
Thank you both! Jackie, I was looking at the Eheim on ebay a while back, thought it looked good. I am getting a small bonus in work soon, £75 - hopefully! - so I think I will use the money for one of these, and also a Python... I'll only have to put a small amount towards it. That will be my tank cleaning revolutionised! :P
Any other input? :)


I bought a lee's ultimate gravel cleaner rather than a python, as it is almost identical in operation but only £34.99 for the 50ft length. once you have used it a couple of times it is quick and easy. No buckets or wet carpets. i bought a hosepipe attatchment from B&Q,so i can attatch it to my outside water tap, waste goes down drain flip switch and fresh water goes in the tank, you can adjust the flow rate in and out of the tank ,add dechlorinator as the tank refills straight into the tank.
Jackie
 

Most reactions

Back
Top