Grass Carpet

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

ProGolferCL6

Reaction score
Im thinking about doing some grass carpet in a practice 10 gallon tank.....what should i have as my gravel, water conditions, and what plant do u suggest i use?

this is the first time i have tried it and like i said it will be in a 10 gallon all by itself to see if i can do it.....ill put a couple of fish in there but thats not important

an easy grass too!!

If you mean a grass like plant, then there are a few, some smaller and grassier, but difficult to grow, others somewhat grass like and easier. There are a few other non grasslike plants that are used as ground cover.

Eleocharis species are probably the most grass like. They are not easy to find and are quite demanding in terms of water and light conditions.

The easiest "grass like" plants are Echinodorus tenellus, relatively un demanding, but broader leaved, and grows taller, or Sagitaria subulata which has a similar form, but can too tall sometimes, possibly slightly easier.

Finer substrates are better for plants then coarse stuff. Very small plants, like Eleocharis, will not really root in coarse gravel. Water should not be very hard or overly alkali. Light is by far the most important factor, most "lawn plants" require high light levels.

Most reactions

Back