Granddaughter’s Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

NannaLou

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Here we go again with this cycling lark...

I thought I’d be able to do this “all by myself” but clearly not... my granddaughter has a micro tank (about 8ltrs) with pink gravel and a pink plastic plant ?☹️.

I’ve been adding filter start since 23rd March and Ammonia to get to 1ppm but it won’t clear, the ammonia only reduces to 0.25ppm and the nitrites won’t go below 1ppm. We are changing 59% of the water weekly and adding tap safe and filter start at each change.

Apart from the fact the tank is so small it’s practically useless and the decor is not of my choosing, why isn’t the BB clearing the ammonia/nitrites.

She has been told she can have 12 neon tetras in this tank, I think she’ll be lucky to keep 3!!

She'll be lucky to keep one neon in that tank I'm afraid. Besides being way too small which will stress them badly, does she live in a hard water area like you?

Is there any way you can persuade her to put one of those floating plastic fish in it instead of a live fish?

And whoever told her she can keep 12 neons in that tank should be locked in a 2 foot square tool shed for rest of his life :mad:

Hi! 8 liters is only 2 gallons I believe! Do you plan to keep fish in this tank?

That's a small tank for sure, do you know what it was originally marketed to house?

If it were me I would only use it for something tiny, like those kiddy things they sold for "sea monkies". Maybe a snail.

I was in a similar position with my niece a short time ago. She loves my tanks and wanted one of her own, to which my sister agreed. They came home with something not all that much bigger than your own.

Me, being the clumsy and terrible uncle that I am "accidentally" dropped the tank, cracking it and making it unusable.

I then bought her a 64 litre as an apology.

Does Nanna Lou have similarly buttery fingers?

She'll be lucky to keep one neon in that tank I'm afraid. Besides being way too small which will stress them badly, does she live in a hard water area like you?

Is there any way you can persuade her to put one of those floating plastic fish in it instead of a live fish?

And whoever told her she can keep 12 neons in that tank should be locked in a 2 foot square tool shed for rest of his life :mad:
+10 to the above...

I thought I’d be able to do this “all by myself” but clearly not... my granddaughter has a micro tank (about 8ltrs) with pink gravel and a pink plastic plant ?☹️.

I’ve been adding filter start since 23rd March and Ammonia to get to 1ppm but it won’t clear, the ammonia only reduces to 0.25ppm and the nitrites won’t go below 1ppm. We are changing 59% of the water weekly and adding tap safe and filter start at each change.

Apart from the fact the tank is so small it’s practically useless and the decor is not of my choosing, why isn’t the BB clearing the ammonia/nitrites.

She has been told she can have 12 neon tetras in this tank, I think she’ll be lucky to keep 3!!
That tiny amount of water will be very difficult to maintain proper water params, much less cycle...it's just too small, as others have pointed out....I like the Sea Monkeys idea, though, it's about the only thing that would work...

Essjay ???

My opinion only.. A tank that small is like putting a elephant in a closet. I have a tank that small with snails but I don't suggest snails. If you must, I suggest you "rescue" a male betta from a store. A small tank is better than a cup ??? Use water conditioner and a filter. She would love it ❤

Oh brother, who on earth is telling her that 12 neons is okay? Poor things. I'd probably just save up for a bigger tank as her birthday gift... And if that's not any time soon, just say it's out of the kindness of your heart! Wishing you all the best.

If she's interested in caterpillars, she could have that tank as a vivarium to house little larvae. That's really my only suggestion...
My opinion only.. A tank that small is like putting a elephant in a closet. I have a tank that small with snails but I don't suggest snails. If you must, I suggest you "rescue" a male betta from a store. A small tank is better than a cup ??? Use water conditioner and a filter. She would love it ❤
Even a betta wouldn't fit in there... It's really just unlivable. You could probably fit a couple bladder snails in there at best!

Oh brother, who on earth is telling her that 12 neons is okay? Poor things. I'd probably just save up for a bigger tank as her birthday gift... And if that's not any time soon, just say it's out of the kindness of your heart! Wishing you all the best.

If she's interested in caterpillars, she could have that tank as a vivarium to house little larvae. That's really my only suggestion...

Even a betta wouldn't fit in there... It's really just unlivable. You could probably fit a couple bladder snails in there at best!
Wow! I didn't realize how really small that tank is...caterpillars??? I have raised Butterfly caterpillars and they are NOT pets. Recycle the tank, like throw it out and get at least a 5 gallon and a male betta, just a suggestion people, don't be hating ?

Wow! I didn't realize how really small that tank is...caterpillars??? I have raised Butterfly caterpillars and they are NOT pets. Recycle the tank, like throw it out and get at least a 5 gallon and a male betta, just a suggestion people, don't be hating ?
No hateration... Just education ?

...What?

I've raised caterpillars since I was like... Twelve. I'm well aware that they're not "pets". There's really no need for all the snark. Going for people's throats isn't nice.
Caterpillars can be kept inside vivariums very happily and most entomologists will use them for observational purposes.

Nobody is hating on you. Don't be so defensive.

Most reactions

trending

Back