Gouramis

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

maryt1061

Reaction score
:/
Hi All,
I have a gold gourami and a blue gourami. More than that I really don't know more about them. The gold is much large than the blue and right now it looks as if it has sawolloed a large margle. Don't know if those are eggs it is carrying or what and and don't know what their sex is. If they are eggs and there is no male what happens to the female? Right now she looks as if she is going to burst.

Help, I really just want it to be okay.

Thanks in advance.

Mary

Hi maryt1061 :)

Welcome to the forum! :flowers:

It sounds like your gold gourami is a mature female; they normally have a rounded figure while the male has a more smoothly tapering one.

If this is the case, you have nothing to worry about. I have an old pearl gourami who I never bred since I didn't have a male. She is healthy and none the worse for it. I suspect that most gouramis live out their lives without spawning and have no problems. :nod:

Really appreciate your quick reply.

So...you're telling me I over reacted. LOL That's good because it means they are ok. Right????

Thanks so much.

Mary

Hi maryt1061 :)

In all likelyhood your gouramis are fine. :nod:

There is only one disease that would cause a gourami to swell up like you describe. That is dropsy, an almost always fatal disease. You will clearly recognize it by the fact that the fish's scales will stand out away from its body like a pine cone.

If this is not happening, your gourami is fine! :nod:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back