Gouramis

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MAM

Mamalammadingdong
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
what are those for? do they actually have control over them? just curious. was watching some last night at the lfs and when one would swim up to another, those tenticles would go out toward each other, and they'd do it to me when i got close to the glass............... weird :lol:

They use their feelers underneath their bodies to scope out new items or fish in the aquarium.

Those are actually modified fins, so yes, they do have control over them - it's pretty fun to watch! :D Because gouramis are labyrinth fish, some people believe this is an adaptation to them being used to living in stale water. This would mean the water was often dark, so gouramis may have used their "feelers" to check out the bottom for food and other objects. My gourami is hilarious to watch with his feelers. He's constantly reaching out to everything, and always "high fives" (haha I know.. I'm weird, but I think it's a cute way to think about it) through the glass when I put my finger up to it.

okay, thought so, because like you said juliethegr8t, it looks like they hi-five!!!!!

Those are fins the pelvic actually, and they have tastebuds all over them so that the gouamri can taste things before they go in their mouths.

WoW...i didn't know that thanks alot for that info...like they say you learn something everyday :D

juliethegr8t said:
My gourami is hilarious to watch with his feelers. He's constantly reaching out to everything, and always "high fives" (haha I know.. I'm weird, but I think it's a cute way to think about it) through the glass when I put my finger up to it.
i just got two dwarf guoramis and i had to try it. they did it :D im eaven more in love with them :wub: i was kinda shocked, but its something else that i can show of to people. other than just the beauty of the tank! :D

Most reactions

trending

Back