Gouramis Suitable For 20 Gallon Long

MrNiceGuy

Fishaholic
Reaction score
obviously opinions will vary a little bit, but i'm wondering what types of gouramis can live comfortably in a 20 gallon long community. preferably a pair. the tank is very well planted and sheltered. it has a slow water-flow and its pretty much an ideal environment for gouramis. also keep in mind that a 20 gallon long is 30 inches long which is comparable to a 29 gallon high in terms of side to side roaming space. i also realize that tankmates will vary a bit depending on the aggression of the gourami species. thoughts?

obviously opinions will vary a little bit, but i'm wondering what types of gouramis can live comfortably in a 20 gallon long community. preferably a pair. the tank is very well planted and sheltered. it has a slow water-flow and its pretty much an ideal environment for gouramis. also keep in mind that a 20 gallon long is 30 inches long which is comparable to a 29 gallon high in terms of side to side roaming space. i also realize that tankmates will vary a bit depending on the aggression of the gourami species. thoughts?

Of course, get yourself a pair of Honey Gourami's

James.

Agree with James, a pair of Honey Gouramies would be fine in that size tank. You could fit a small shoal of them in there also if you wanted to.

Yeah I'd agree with that too. I love Honeys though!

Are they supposed to have a slow water flow? I really can't work out if mine's slow or fast or what.

They don't like too much of a flow in the tank but some water movement will be absolutely fine.

thanks for the replies :fun: . but i'm looking to get some more ideas, maybe something a little more obscure. so far i know honeys would work, as well as dwarfs and paradise fish. sparklers would work too but they're a little small for a show-fish. would a pair of pearls be possible? are tri-spots out of the question? any other workable possibilities will be appreciated

I think the main trouble when you move away from the obvious 3 species (Honeys Dwarfs and Sparklers) is that they can be aggressive. I know Pearls are too big for my aquarium but you've got 5 gallons on me so you might be alright :lol:

would a pair of pearls be possible? are tri-spots out of the question? any other workable possibilities will be appreciated

Hi MrNiceGuy :)

A pair of female pearls or three spots would be OK too. They tend to be less aggressive than the males and will be more likely to get along in a tank that size.

All females:

12-29-07Mythreefemales-1.jpg

Im my experience any pair would work if they are not both males, otherwise one would attack the other. But ye I agree with getting some Honeys.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back