Gouramis And Oscars

nicko378

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post on the forum so I hope I am doing this correctly haha. But I was just wondering if anyone has any experience mixing gouramis an oscars. I have a pink kisser, a pearl, and a yellow gourami all about 5 inches long. I want to buy an small oscar to put in the tank, but I have gotten mixed answers from scouring google and other forums. I understand that oscars can be aggressive but so can gouramis. Let me know what you all think. Thanks

first question people will ask is what size tank have you got, i dont know if they will go together but i would say no as think gouramis need different water to oscars being a large cichlid

yeah what size tank thou is it 3ft or 4ft or what

there is no way a gourami can stand up to an oscar, regardless of how aggressive they ae. Oscars are very strong, boisterous fish, they have huge mouths, huge appetites, can get bored very easily. They should be kept with larger fish that can stick up for themselves (which means cichlids above 6 inches long) or fish that are fast enough to avoid aggression, which gouramis are not. those gouramis would eventually be toast. I say no go.

What if I bought small young oscars that would be too small to harm the gouramis? Would they be used to the gouramis by the time they were large enough to do any damage? Or would they just instinctually attack the gourami once able

What if I bought small young oscars that would be too small to harm the gouramis? Would they be used to the gouramis by the time they were large enough to do any damage? Or would they just instinctually attack the gourami once able
you could buy them as fry if you wanted to, gouramis would still get murdered when it grows older. Gouramis are pretty slow fish with relatively long flowing fins, not to mention those delicious feelers, any fish with a remote tendency to be aggressive will attack gouramis.

also keep in mind that while gouramis are territorial around fish of similar size or smaller, they become extremely timid and shy around larger fish. they don't hold their own.

Fish eren't like dogs and cats. they arent going to like each other just because they grew up together.They are two different types of fish that need different water conditions .....oh and that the oscar would later murder your gourami.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back