Gourami Tankmates

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JennaCaskinett

Reaction score
Hello!

I currently have one male Opaline Gourami, four Cory's, and an Oto in my 15g tank. I was just wondering if there was any other sort of  fishy friend that I could add into my tank. I used to have anther female Gourami in my tank, but she was extremely timid and always hid. The male would chase her occasionally but it wasn't excessive and she didn't obtain an injury for the month that I had her. I ended up returning her to the store because she took up purchase behind my filter and would never leave, so I wanted her to go to someone else who would enjoy her.

I tried to add another Golden Gourami and she didn't last more than ten minutes before being chased mercilessly, so I brought her back and decided no more gourami for this tank 
no.gif

I know my tank is pretty stocked, and I do keep up with maintenance and it's in great shape honestly. I understand that I may not be able to add anyone, but I was just looking into it since I am looking into changing my gravel to sand anyways.

Thanks!

alright well, personally. I would change the substrate first before you get anymore fish. by what you said, you have 2 gourami's currently. you could get more but not many more since they are gourami's.

As this is a 15 gallon tank, you are at the limit.  Nothing should be added.  I know the corys are better with a slightly larger number, but given the other circumstances and that you have four, I would leave them.

The Opaline Gourami really should be in a much larger tank, but stay with what you have.  I am not surprised that other gourami were hounded, for two reasons which I will explain for you.

First, the Opaline is one variety of the species Trichopodus trichopterus.  The various varieties are Blue Gourami, Gold Gourami, Cosby Gourami, Three-Spot Gourami, Opaline Gourami, Marbled Gourami, and others I can't think of at present.  But these are all one species, and unfortunately one of the more aggressive gourami species.  All male gourami are territorial to some degree, just like cichlids, but this species is especially so.  And even females have been known to kill every other gourami in the tank.

With the above in mind, the second issue is space.  This is not a small fish, at 4 to 5 inches, with some attaining a good 6 inches.  This means that the male is going to consider the entire tank--unless it is very large, say over 4 feet in length--as "his" domain.  Individual fish like many animals and humans can have differing temperaments so there can sometimes be exceptions, but it is always wise to assume the normal and give this species plenty of space, and be careful with numbers and tankmates.  So unless you remove the male Opaline, consider the tank full.  The corys should escape his attentions, but this can change, so be vigilant.

A final word on the "chasing" you witnessed when you had the other gourami.  This was far more serious than it may have appeared.  There does not have to be actual physical interaction (like fin nipping, biting, etc) to have aggressive behaviour; the fish sends out chemical signals, called pheromones (read by others of that species) and allomones (read by other species).  These are invisible to us, and their presence from all fish is one reason we do significant water changes, and replacing water is the only way to remove these and they will build up.  All fish release them, and they are used for communication, warnings, initiating spawning, aggression, and so forth.  The fact that the female gourami remained as hidden as it could is a clear sign that she was terrified of the male; this causes severe stress, and over time this weakens the immune system, makes normal life functions more difficult and even erodes them, and the fish dies.  How long this takes can depend, but it is inevitable so such behaviour should always be quickly dealt with, as you have done by removing her.  Again, one has to know the traits and behaviours of a species, and then assume this is how the individual fish will behave, at least if they are healthy.

Hope this has helped to explain things.

Byron.

by what you said, you have 2 gourami's currently. you could get more but not many more since they are gourami's.
Thats bad advice and will result in dead or injured fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back