Gourami Swimming Irractically

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

siriuslacey1

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I have a gourami (golden?) that is swimming irractically and very fast through the tank, jumping, hitting the lid of the tank and sides. It doesn't seem to rub on anything. After one of the episodes it swims upside-down, lays on it's side or hides. Then it begins to swim ok again. This has been going on about a week. I have had it for over two years. It is in a 35 galleon tank with 1 - Pleco, 2 - rasboras and 1 - skirt tetra. They have been in the tank for over a year. The rasboras were the last fish that were added over a year ago. The last one that died, skirt tetra, was a couple of months ago. There hasn't been any real changes in decor/plants. I gave up arranging two of the plants and bubble strip months ago because the pleco rearranges them during the night to the right side. The ph is 6.4 and the temperature is 78. It doesn't seem to be eating much. I feel so bad for it.

What are the water stats? (Ammonia, Nitrite) This type of distress could be from poor water conditions. Is the tank cycled?

Had to go buy a test kit. The ammonia nitrate is .25 mg/L. The tank has been filtering with fish in it for over a year. What do I need to do to cycle an existing tank?

Do large water changes daily until the ammonia drops to 0ppm. Also check Nitrite. Keep up with water changes until that is 0ppm as well.

What type of filtration are you using? What types of media?
What are the dimensions of the tank? What type of Pleco?

Hi.my gouramis were all doing this a couple of months ago.they are always out and about and happy.one day I came in and they were either darting about hitting of glass or packed together hiding.couldn't figure it out.I finally realised that they were all scared as the tank was being battered by my playing dogs.it may not be but it may of been spooked.

I realized I only got an ammonia test kit. Will need to go and buy a nitrate kit tomorrow.

Tank size - 19L x 30.25W x 20.87H
The filter is an Aqua Clear Fluval 50 (over the edge type) carbon/foam
Not sure what type of plecostomus, a common black and grey type.

I will have to think if there has been any change that could be scaring them. But I can't think of anything at the moment.

Not sure what type of plecostomus, a common black and grey type.
I gave up arranging two of the plants and bubble strip months ago because the pleco rearranges them during the night to the right side.
How big is this Pleco? I have 2 in a 2 foot tank ( 20 Us Gallon ) at the moment they are about 2 to 3 inches long and they are not able to move any of my plants

Okay, we have a possible answer on fihies behavior, thanks to gmc1. It is a good theory. I have an Angel in his own tank on my desk. I can tell if Mrs. doodle has been around, as her quick movements spook him and he darts around the tank when I come in for lights on.
As for the filter, I have three of that model, though I double up on sponges and omit the carbon. Still need to keep up with the water changes.
As for the Pleco, commoms get huge, and outgrow most tanks. They also create a big bioload.

Thanks for your help. I might have an answer, not the one I expected. My gourami gets scared. Now I have to figure out what to do.

My pleco is about 9". He is one of my favorite fish. In the evening, he likes to grab the floating thermometer and go to the bottom with it and let it go so it goes to the top and bobs. Then he repeats it a few times.

Try upping the number of Rasboras. More dither fish might make him more secure.
Not real familiar with the skirt Tetras, but I have heard they can be fin nippers.
Plecs are great, I just couldn't deal with the tank being rearranged all the time. I have a hard enough time with my Corys digging everything up.

My gourami is very skittish, to the point that during tank maintenance I have to stop several times because she will literally jump out of the tank.  Do you have floating plants?  Gouramis need this coverage from above because they dwell mainly at the top of the tank, this may help it feel more secure

Good catch, squidneh. Oldtimers caught up with me and forgot floating plants.

I didn't realize guoramis were so skittish. I don't have any floating plants. Will put them on my list to get.

Yes they are jumpy little buggers.

Most reactions

Back