Gourami Stocking Options

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

HoldenOn

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hey all!
As some of you may know I just got my 29 gallon tank set up. I am doing a silent cycle, and want to get a finalized list of fish. I would really like to get a group of gourami. My general hardness is 175 ppm and I have a 7.6-7.8 pH. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Edit: My tank is planted, and I will be getting it to a "heavily planted" state soon!

Sounds good. What are your thoughts on 3 spot/opaline gourami?
You may need a larger tank for a group of them, they're among the most aggressive gourami species.

Sparkling gouramis are small, like neon tetra sized, so keep that in mind if you want to add tankmates :) but in that size of tank you could do species only up to 15-20 individuals
Or keep to a nice group of 5 and get another nano schooler

I agree with NCaquatics. There are some other rarer species but they must have softer water. The Honeys would work, a trio (one male, two female). The pygmy sparkling, a group of 7-9 would give good opportunity for some nice natural interaction, males "clicking" to each other, etc, and likely spawning. Must have floating plants.

The 3-spot/opaline gourami is the species Trichopodus trichopterus, which has several varieties developed through selective breeding (blue, gold, cosby, marble, 3-spot, opaline). Unfortunately, this is one of the nastiest gourami for its size. One member had a lone female kill every other fish in the tank; males are very territorial to varying degrees.

I think Sparkling Gourami are super cool and a great alternative to a single "centerpiece fish". They're unique and interesting to watch and they make sounds! And as mentioned above you could have a good sized group in a 29 gallon tank. They're definitely on my list of future fish I want a tank dedicated to.

I had an opaline gourami and she was quite big, about 3.5 inches. I had her in a 55 gallon and I'm not sure I would have kept her in a 29 gallon. She was my least favorite fish I ever had lol. Nasty.

Sparkling Gourami sound great! Only hang up is that there aren't any in my LFS. I don't think there are Honey Gourami either. After doing research I see why y'all would advise against Dwarf Gourami. Is there any humane way to order fish?

Microdevario Kubotai + Panda Corys + Elegant Corys + Honey Gourami or Pearl Gourami.
dH and temp works.
PH?
Squabbling?

I love em all. Elegant Corys like a bit of off substrate exploration. Pandas melt your heart. MKs look stunning mob handed. Honeys ditto and 1m2f is best I believe. Ditto for PGs.
If I didn’t have liquid rock I’d be going for that combi myself. Tank Of The Lords that. Tank Of The Lords.

honestly, sparklers are the way to go.
They do have a bit of a punch at times, mine are spawning nonstop and they get a little feisty during that.

No floating plants on my end, or at least barely any in their tank. Ive got duckweed and its dwindling. But my trio spawns in weird places. My male has favored a crypt leaf for the last 4 nests.
20200815_142525.jpg

Nice, I'll do some research into good places to order fish from. If for some reason that falls through, what about Rams?

Rams need warmer water than most tropical fish. Their tankmates have to chosen from the few fish that are OK at the temps rams need.

Rams need warmer water than most tropical fish. Their tankmates have to chosen from the few fish that are OK at the temps rams need.
Ah, which tank mates might those be? I really want Cories so if push comes to shove I will just order Gourami.

Cories can't cope with the temps rams need. There are things like cardinal and rummy nose tetras but not much else.
Thats tough. I'll have to check my LFS before making a decision. Thank you all!

Bolivian rams need cooler.

German blue rams need warmer, and sterbai corydoras would be one of the very few that may handle the temperature they need

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back