gourami problem

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Well I see the problem with the 10 gallon so I have an idea. The 40 is empty now right? Any chance you could empty out the 10 and wash it out a bit and then move the 40's filter into it? Then you'll have a clean tank, hopefuly not infected with the worms, but you'll also not need to worry about water quality and you can continue treating the platy which you say is stressed in there. Leave the others in the bowls for as long as they look ok. The 10 is just a back-up in case the fish get stressed in the gallon bowls.
How badly stressed is the platy? Will it be ok in the bowl for another night say? You see, idealy, you need to let the 10 dry out completely before re-filling it and adding the other filter etc so, unless your fish will survive the wait, it may be better to just put it right into the 40 gallon and attempt to treat the worms in there (just for the platy).

As for the time it will take, sorry, I realy don't know. I'm assuming you mean the tank you will strip down and dry out (if the platy/other fish don't get moved in first), in which case, after having left it in the sun a few days to dry out and having rinsed out with the bleach etc, I would think they'd be dead - but you never know. If you were reffering to how long it would take for treatment to irradicate the worms, it depends on the med. mostly so I can't help there.

i just did the water changes in the bowls..the fish seem ok and the platy seems to be better.

what i end up doing..is about a 95% water change...i removed all ornaments and plants (fake...i am not confident about trying live plans :p ) and disinfecting them. this is what i want to do:

...if i leave the tank running but with no fish (assumming i feed my bacteria ammonia) for a few days...would not the anchor worms die out considering they do not have a host to survive on. i do not believe the worms life span is that long ..i will do some research in a minute.

if i do this while treating the fish in seperate bowls with constant water changes (as long as i see the fish are not stressed) than there will be no need to start the cycle over.

the reason i do not want the fish in the tanks is because i am not how effective the medicine will be...i can always change the medicine and remove any adult worms so no eggs fertilized and released...

however...if these fish are in the tanks i will continually have to catch and remove the worms...or re medicate..with the chanceit not working, or underdosing...or some of the eggs or larvae will be in the gravel and remain unharmed...

i know it seems like a painstaking task and not good for the fish...but i think that with continual water changes and medication..they will be ok...i will watch closely for stress

Go ahead and try whatever you are prepaired to do. My main worry is just that the eggs, regardless of how many water changes you do, may still survive. If you keep removing the worms though, and so stop them fromr eproducing, you may be able to eventualy kill them all off anyway.

Good luck! :)

Well, assuming it's legal for use in a home aquarium and you can get hold of some, yes. Be very careful with the dosage.

well..i read that its for ponds really...but from what i hear thats the only effective medicine. the fish are doing great! they are eating good and i havn't found the appearance of anymore worms.

i suppose i can remove any worms i spot...still dont know what to do about the eggs.....

I would assume that if the eggs hatch and they don't have a host, they will eventualy die. However, if they did get onto your fish again, as long as you pick them off as soon as you see them appearing, they will hopefuly not be able to multiply any more and they'll eventualy all be wiped out.

good advice...

my larger tank is JUST about cycled. when this happens i will return the fish..i have not seen any new worms but i will keep a close eye on them ...and remove any when i see em.

thanks for all your help...i think i THINK...the worst is over!

but my gourami did not make it unfortunately...he developed a secondary infection and soon died :( ..the rest are fine

Oh sorry about the gourami :( That's too bad. At least the others are doing well and I hope you are right and the worst IS over. :)

Most reactions

trending

Back