Gourami Poop: Clear And Extremely Stringy.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Mintyfloss

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've had my new dwarf gourami in a 10 gal tank along with 4 corys for about 2 weeks now. Over the past few days I noticed him pooping really long and clear stuff. Today, I noticed his feelers were each about 1/2 an inch shorter. (and it looked like they were rotting away) Only the feelers though, his fins are still looking great.

When i say "stringy", I mean the poop isn't the normal 1 inch, it is at least 3 inches dangling from him o_O.

Basically through reading online, I'm guessing its either constipation or a parasite. He also seems to have a slight loss of appetite, but still swims quickly to any food he sees on the surface to check it out.

Other details:
The tank had been cycled for 4 weeks before any fish were put in.
The corys are doing great.
Temp is kept at 79*F, fluctuates 1 degree day/night.
10 to 20% water changes are done weekly.

Thoughts? Comments? How to treat?

Thanks for the help.

Well it doesn't look like he will make it. Hes just laying sideways on the rocks now, gulping really quickly for oxygen. He had the energy to swim to the top, gulp at the air, and then sank right back down to the bottom.

Well it doesn't look like he will make it. Hes just laying sideways on the rocks now, gulping really quickly for oxygen. He had the energy to swim to the top, gulp at the air, and then sank right back down to the bottom.

Sorry to hear that Minty. It does sound like wasting disease from parasites. API General Cure works pretty good for this but it may be too late already. I would look at getting some anyway though just in case your other fish are infected. It's important to do 50% weekly water changes and keep the substrate clean with a good vacuuming each week. Healthy water=healthy fish(generally speaking). This med also treats gill flukes, hole in head, tapeworms, general parasites. Safe for plants and invertebrates too. Personally, I'm really loathe to use meds but sometimes you have to with parasites. Otherwise, if your other fish look healthy, just maintain your water parameters and it will go a long way to preventing illness and disease.

Welcome to forum

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back