April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

-germ-

Rheophilic....
Reaction score
Gourami ID thread

Work in progress; Please see bottom of post

Please click on the picture for further infomation.

Colisa genus

Colisa lalia
Dwarf Gourami, Powder/Neon Blue Gourami, Royal/Fire/Blood/Flame Red Gourami

Colisa labiosa
Thick lip Gourami, Sunset Gourami, Peach Gourami
thick2.jpg
thick1.jpg

Colisa fasciata
Giant Gourami, Banded Gourami
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=34962

Ctenopoma genus

Ctenopoma acutirostre
Spotted Ctenopoma, Leopard Gourami, Spotted Climbing Perch

Macropodus genus

Macropodus opercularis
Paradise fish, Paradise Gourami

Helostomatidae

Helostoma temminckii
Kissing Gourami, Pink Kisser

Osphronemus genus

Osphronemus exodon
Elephant Ear Gourami

Osphronemus Goramy
Giant Gourami, common gourami

Osphronemus laticlavius
Giant Red Tailed Gourami

Contributer Credits and Thanks to;
Colisa labiosa(golden); -germ-, Colisa lalia(flame); SouthernCross, Ctenopoma acutirostre; zakkp8, Macropodus opercularis, Colisa labiosa(wild), Colisa lalia(flame and female dwarf); Stang1,Colisa lalia(female powder blue, male powder blue); Maximumbob, Colisa chuna(female, male and sunset colour morph), Colisa lalia male, Ctenopoma acutirostre; Ripley, Oshromenus goramy; JasonSkillz, Macropodus opercularis; cuticom, Helostoma temminckii; Annastasia

Sphaerichthys osphromenoides
Chocolate gourami

Sphaerichthys vaillanti
Chocolate gourami, samurai gourami, vaillants (chocolate) gourami
choc1.jpg
choc2.jpg

Trichogaster genus

Trichogaster chuna
Honey Gourami, Sunset Gourami

Trichogaster leeri
Pearl Gourami (male on left, female on right)

Trichogaster microlepsis
Moonlight Gourami

Trichogaster pectoralis
Snakeskin Gourami

Trichogaster trichopterus
3 spot gourami, blue gourami, golden gourami, opaline gourami

Trichopsis genus

Trichopsis pumila
Pygmy gourami

Trichopsis schalleri
3 stripe gourami

Trichopsis vittata
Croaking gourami

Contributer Credits and Thanks to;
Trichogaster trichopterus(blue/3 spot); idlefingers, Trichogaster chuna(golden); -germ-, Trichogaster leeri; SouthernCross,Sphaerichthys vaillanti; Maximumbob, Trichogaster trichopterus(golden); dollfaced, Trichogaster microlepsis; CheesyFeet, Trichopsis vittata; connorsbala, Trichopsis vittata; connorsbala

*Edit* Crap, I see now you wanted PM's, not posts. Tell you what, I'll leave this up for you to save the pictures from, resize, whatever, and once they're in the main post I'll delete this post so it's not hogging a load of space/bandwith. Sorry germ! Also, I officially give you permission to use my pics if you want to :)

Allright, absolutely NOBODY wants to pose for new pictures for me tonight, little buggers.

So I've just gone looking through the archives for some old ones that'll do for now - if I manage to shoot off better ones in the future, I'll give them to you germ, so the best ones can be used. Oh, I couldn't figure out how to resize to 400, so I just posted them here how I had them, so if its ok, I'll leave the resizing up to you, I didn't want to stuff it up. I can't get over how much more my male's fins have grown even since these pictures, it really makes me want to get more. Anyhoo.

Alright, first up is my deceased dwarf gourami - the only one I ever owned. :-( This popular colour variant is commonly known as "Red Flame" or "Fire Red"
RedFlameDwarfGourami.jpg

Next up - my pearl gourami (or trichogaster leeri) male. Make your choice out of the pictures, germ, although hopefully I'll have a more brilliant one for you soon. The first shows the whole fish, the second I included because it's the best shot of his display colours I have (especially the blue in the fin rays) even though his tail is cut off by the stupid plant - would have been perfect otherwise.

Pearl3Crop.jpg

PearlHCrop.jpg

And this is one of my pearl females. The most obvious differences with pearl females are the subdued colours, fatter body and shorter fins, in particular the shorter, rounded dorsal. Wish the picture was a bit crisper - I find if I use flash the colours wash out though, the girls don't tend to 'hover' as much :(

FemalePearlGourami.jpg

Can't wait to see this thread shape up :good:. If you can contribute some good pictures people, please do! :)

No worries, whats done is done....
Any thoughts on doing a small Leeri profile for linkage?
Plz :( i count 18 in total, i'll make a template if needs be......
Cheers GB

Yeah I guess I could throw something together :p Might take me a little while.......the thesis due date is looming.

I mean there are the species profiles at the top of the board - e.g. the one for pearl gourami here, but the information is different for each gourami (as in they all don't follow the same format, specific details aren't there for every species) so perhaps if we had a template which we could fill in for every species so they were all uniform that would be a good idea.

If you come up with a template I'll do my best to fill it in from my own knowledge and I'll look up anything I'm not 100% sure on.

[Your right, i'll use the species index,
Linked through the pic to a sub post containing sexual dimorphism pics and colour morph pics, with a link at the top to the species index.
If there is anything missin from the species index i'll hunt down the ideal poster and get them (hopefully) to make the neccessary profile.
Hang around 5 mins, refresh and then click on the dwarf gourami pic to see what i mean.
(obviously post is incomplete as i lack pics)
Let me know what you think, cheers.

It may be useful if you added a little information under each species.Their origin, size and ideal tank set-ups.Just a thought, but definetely not in too much detail as it is an ID thread afterall.

Cheers Cheesy, i'll be adding adult size as this i'd consider this essential to the ID process, particularly in the case of the 3 Colisa and Trichogaster Chuna (the most commonly confused). They are all linked to the Species index (click on the pics),
Anyhow another person receives info via this thread;
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showto...p;#entry1735205
:D
Just think, If i can get this comprehensive enough to be pinned i'll never have to ID a dwarf ever again, yay!
(well hopefully)

Croaking gourami
3 stripe gourami
Pygmy gourami
Snakeskin Gourami
Chocolate gourami
Giant Red Tailed Gourami
Elephant Ear Gourami
Banded gourami
Paradise fish
Kissing gourami
Blue gourami
Red colour morphs of honey gourami/colisa chuna
All need pics.....

Anyone?

Croaking gourami
3 stripe gourami
Pygmy gourami
Snakeskin Gourami
Chocolate gourami
Giant Red Tailed Gourami
Elephant Ear Gourami
Banded gourami
Paradise fish
Kissing gourami
Blue gourami
Red colour morphs of honey gourami/colisa chuna
All need pics.....

Anyone?
That's 3 that i know of;
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1737546
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showto...p;#entry1735205
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1732417

Also a bump for the quoted pic request......

Most reactions

Back