Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

A Dwarf Gourami Mini F A Q

Discussion in 'Gouramis and Anabantoids' started by nmonks, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Metka

Metka Member

Blue gourami are not dwarfs. Blue gourami are a three-spot gourami variant.
    You can have 3 if you want, or 4, but the more you have the less aggressive behaviour will affect one individual fish, as it will be spread out among the group. You should still try and get at least 2 females to 1 male ratio.

2. JezTaylor

JezTaylor Member

Thanks for this. I've been looking to get a pair of Dwarf Gouramis so it was certainly useful.

Coming back on to the point about pairs, I only have a 64 litre tank so there's not a huge amount of room for the female to get some space. Would you say it's better to have a male by himself? Also, what about putting a pair of females together? Is the reason this isn't so common because the males are more colourful?

With regards to different varieties... my LFS has some labelled "red neon drawf gouramis" and some labelled "sky blue dwarf gouramis". Is colour going to be the only difference here? In other words, if I got one of each, would they behave as a pair?

Thanks

3. JezTaylor

JezTaylor Member

I'm gutted. Last week I noticed a pink mark next to my Dwarf Gourami's mouth. I've had him for nearly three months and he's still his usual active self and still has his appetite, but presumably it's the disease you've all mentioned. I'm going to treat the water with Melafix just in case it's a bacterial infection... but doesn't look good [​IMG]

4. TwoTankAmin

TwoTankAmin Member

So an old thread still going. I was too lazy to read it all. I did read the incorrect statement in the original post about myobacterium being mostly in sw fish.

This simply is not true:

from http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2761.2010.01202.x/abstract;jsessionid=97F11328BB10D75CEEE0879A8F1F2F92.d02t01?systemMessage=Wiley+Online+Library+will+be+unavailable+for+approximately+4+hours+between+09%3A00+EDT+and+14%3A00+EDT+on+Saturday%2C+28+September+2013+as+we+make+upgrades+to+improve+our+services+to+you.+There+will+also+be+some+delays+to+online+publishing+between+25+to+28+September+2013.+We+apologize+for+the+inconvenience+and+appreciate+your+patience.+Thank+you+for+using+Wiley+Online+Library!&userIsAuthenticated=false&deniedAccessCustomisedMessage=

So mycobacterium isn't found in gouramis? Think again:
    from http://www.cabdirect.org/abstracts/20053094559.html;jsessionid=0CDF1A8FAD455A98EFFC7F68D06D2690

And finally, not science, just a well well respected site:
    from http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebindex/dwfgbeh.htm

It is so easy to roll off statements of "fact" without really having any clue about them other than one is repeating something they saw posted some place. Finally, there are different strains of mycobacteria.