Gourami developing large sores and scales disappearing?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

GouramiFishKeeper

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am afraid yet another issue has arisen with my last remaining dwarf gourami. She had begun to bloat quite a bit a few weeks ago, but she fed and swam normally. However, I noticed odd changes in her behaviour lately and begun treating her with anti internal bacterial medicine. This has not helped, and today she has developed a huge red sore, her scales in that are have peeled away leaving behind a mix a flesh and blood? She is still eating though which is a good sign and I have changed some of the water out. There are not many fish in the tank at all, my neon tetras died suddenly, there insides seemed to decay within a few hours?

Does anyone know what this is?

Thanks

Unfortunately things have taken a turn for the worst. The Gourami is now laying on its side at the bottom of the tank, I dont think it will survive this night. Someone really needs to find a cure for this disease as it has killed all of my gourmais.

Don't buy dwarf gouramis because they regularly carry the Iridovirus and or TB.

If you have the Iridovirus in your tank, it will stay there and kill any labyrinth fish (Bettas & Gouramis) until you strip the tank and disinfect everything.

If it is the Iridovirus, there is no cure besides trying to keep the fish in the best health possible and hoping its immune system can deal with the virus. Normally it can't and there is a 99% kill rate for fish infected with the Iridovirus.

Anti-biotics do nothing to viruses and only treat bacterial infections.

Thank you, apparently antibiotics should not be used in aquariums to treat bacterial infections because of the ever growing risk of antibiotic resistance in humans. I purchased the Gourami's from Pets At Home around a year and a half ago - the fish always die of disease and so I will not get them from such a big chain anymore - its a shame because the colour and species varieties available is amazing. Thanks again!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back