Got another article published

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

emeraldking

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
This week I've got another article of mine published in our national livebearer magazine "Poecilia news". It's 5 pages long and it's about the Poecilia chica. The socalled "dwarf molly". The name itself is a bit shady. For you'd think of a very small molly. But the name dwarf molly refers to the small dorsal. And not to the body size. This wild molly species is endemic to the eastern part of Mexico. To be more precise, the tributaries of the Río Purificación la concepción.

Attachments

• IMG_E2887 (1).jpg
    IMG_E2887 (1).jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_E2890.JPG
    IMG_E2890.JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_E2889.JPG
    IMG_E2889.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2339.jpg
    IMG_2339.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 24
I was going to start a thread asking about dwarf mollies because the suppliers over east have them but don't have a scientific name or any major details about them. The name is very misleading and I have had a number of people ask me if they are indeed dwarf fish.

-------------
Second issue.

You have been getting lots of articles published. When are you going to post some of the earlier articles on here for us to read in English?

Come on, I don't speak other languages and wanna read your articles. Please. Pretty please, with sugar on top :)

I just want to see giant Sailfin Mollies like we had in the eighties.
I fully agree with that. I haven't seen sailfin mollies since last century. All I see are P. sphenops or sphenops hybrids.

I miss the big sailfin mollies that were 5-6 inches long and had massive dorsal fins. We had a choice of colours too, green, silver or gold :)

I was going to start a thread asking about dwarf mollies because the suppliers over east have them but don't have a scientific name or any major details about them. The name is very misleading and I have had a number of people ask me if they are indeed dwarf fish.
Well, misleading names in fish happens more often than it should. Another mistake a lot of people make is that swordtail fish is called swordtail fish because of the male's sword. But actually it refers to the gonopodium of the male. And the sword has got nothing to do with the name swordtail. in this case. But the name of the genus "Xiphophorus" already refers to the gonopodium of the male. And there are even wild platy species that show a sword. And there are wild swordtail fish that have no sword at all.
But there are more genera of livebearers that refer to the gonopodium of the male, like e.g., Xenophallus, Flexipenis, etc...
You have been getting lots of articles published. When are you going to post some of the earlier articles on here for us to read in English?
Well, I could do that some time...
I just want to see giant Sailfin Mollies like we had in the eighties.
In Western-Europe they're still available. I've got some swimming in my livebearer pool in the backyard. I chose to have the wild color version.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back