Got Another 2nd Hand Tank But It Stinks.....

mattlee

get on a board and do yo thang...!
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Joined
Jun 9, 2009
Messages
7,580
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
South Leicestershire U.K
i just got another tank that has been sat for a while by the smell of it..... it till had gravel in it and some water that was black! i have removed the gravel and water then scrubbed the whole tank using a scourer and got all the slime, algae whatever it was off the glass but the tank still smells a bit. i want to use it as a 2nd stage fry tank for my angels if/ when they spawn again but want it totally clean before doing this.
is there any thing i can use to rid the smell?
i only used a hosepipe, scourer and water to clean so far, no chemicals etc
 
Someone told me you can use a weak solution of milton fluid (the baby bottle cleaning stuff) and was it out thoroughly. Personally I have never tried it.
 
thanks for the replies people :good:
can anyone confirm these suggestions before i try 1 of them......?
 
I think I would go with salt idea first. My friend used milton on his tank, all was fine he said, but personally I wouldnt fancy it unless it was a really bad tank.
 
I think I would go with salt idea first. My friend used milton on his tank, all was fine he said, but personally I wouldnt fancy it unless it was a really bad tank.
do i need special aquarium salt or just table salt?
 
I got a 3rd tank yesterday 2nd hand from the lfs and was gross, I walked in to my other half cleaning it with vinegar and a rag, brought it up a treat - when he was finished, he just cleaned any residue from the tank and it was good to go
 
A drop of milton does indeed work fine. My grandfather used that method and so do I, just rinse several times to rid the tank of all traces . Since you have a hosepipe you can really give it a good blasting rinse ( obiously not too hard but a good strong flow )

You could scrub with salt first then use the milton/baby's bottle sterilising fluid of choice, same thing . Just one tip of the wrist, just a drop and you're good to go.
 
I bought a tank that need attention, scrubbed it as best i could, and used a weak milton solution, filled it and left it to soak for 24 hours, then ran the hose in it so it just overflowed for an hour (im not on a meter though!) emptyed rinsed well and it was good to go.

Let it dry out, then filled water, cycled and then added fish never had any problems. Dont see why it shouldnt work for you, my freind did the same but used weak bleach soloution, and got the same result.

Good luck cleaning it up hun xx
 

Most reactions

Back
Top