Goodeids

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I've heard of Goodeids but didn't pay attention and just yesterday ran across an article on Ilyodon furcidens , what the author called a Trout Goodied. I think I just fell in love because the article mentioned a cool weather period being beneficial and I want to ditch my heaters for cooler water fish. You guys know anything about their temperature preference ?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 29
lyodon Furcidens nice-looking fish very peaceful I keep mine with guppies with no problem if you want to get rid of duckweed they would eat every last bit of it ,can comfortably take a temperature range of 60 to 78 degrees ,I keep them 66 degrees in winter and 72 degrees through summer months

Most part (so, not all...) of the goodeid family prefer lower temperatures. Which makes them good contenders to keep outdoors during the better months of the year. The lowest temperature when I harvested goodeids was at 8°C at day. And two survived even at 5°C. I though I had them all out the outdoor tub but apparently, two were still in there. They were amazingly still vivid.
I even had fancy swordtails reproducing at 13°C at day. And both adult fish as fry were still happy swimmers. But I did decide to get them out of there.
Just like fish48, I'm a great fan of goodeids as well.

Reading about these fish and then seeing the pictures got me excited. For their size (approx. 3 - 4 inches ) could a guy keep half a dozen in a 20 high ? Reading that they will eat duckweed sounds good too as I like duckweed but it does get to be too much sometimes. I'm not seeing any downside to this pretty little fish.

Goodeid up date

Allodontichthys zonistius

Allodontichthys polepis Rio Potero Grande,

Allotoca zacapuensis Lago de zacapu

Alloophorus robustus

Ameca splendens

Ataeniobius toweri media Luna

Chapalichthys encaustus lago, de capala,

Chapalichthys pardalis

Chapalichthys pardalis (peraticus)

Characodon lateralis los berros, Durango, mexico

Characodon audax EL toboso Black Prince

Characodon audax laguna seca

Characodon audax Abraham Gonzales.

goodea atripinnis

Girardinichthys viviparous

skiffia multipunctata

Skiffia lermae la mintzita

Skiffia fransesae Rio teuchitlan

skiffiia sayula v188

Ilyodon xantusi

Ilyodon whitei

Xenotoca lyonsi , Rio Tamazular Kees de jong 2002

xenotoca variata jesus marie san luis

Xenotoca doadroi san marcos

Xenotoca melanosoma Palo verde

Xenotoca eiseni rio compestela

xonophorous captivus bledos Rio san jose santa maria.

Xenotaenia resolanae

Zoogoneticus tequila

Zoogoneticus purhepechus la luz

When I had hatd water, I really enjoyed my Goodeids. I was able to get all my breeding groups to good breeders before I moved.

I miss some of them. Ilyodon weren't my favourites, but that's purely subjective. My Zoogoneticus tequila... a wonderful lumpy fish.

When I had hatd water, I really enjoyed my Goodeids. I was able to get all my breeding groups to good breeders before I moved.

I miss some of them. Ilyodon weren't my favourites, but that's purely subjective. My Zoogoneticus tequila... a wonderful lumpy fish.
I first kept tequila over 30 years ago, they have become very popular and well established in the fish hobby.

A very unusual looking fish with that split dorsal fin and elongated narrow caudal peduncle . Unusual but nice .
Well, in the world of serious livebearer keepers, it's not an unsual fish. This goes for all goodeids.
The most popular and easy to keep of the skiffia species
Easy but they do have a real charm. It's one of my favorite splitfins.

Most reactions

Back