The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Wills

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hi, some of you that have been on the forum will probably know about my Severum Lilly. Unfortunately over the past few days she has not been her self and then over the last few days she has deteriorated quite quickly. To the point where this morning she was on her side on the sand hardly breathing and her fins deteriorating. I noticed a few days ago that her back end seemed less active and her tail was held in a slightly low position, I tried to ignore it but as you may know this is often a tell tale sign of an elderly fish fading.

As for eventual cause of death, I am unsure if she was trying to lay eggs (she has laid eggs by her self every month, she started a few months after we got her) and became egg bound through complications from her age or if her loss of control of the back end made her breeding tube descend but I am reasonably confident that the death is age related.

As far as I know Lilly was 4 years old when I got her and her previous owner got her as a wild caught adult. He was a dedicated keeper with a fish house full of south american cichlids so I trust his word. And as I mentioned above we have had her just short of 5 years, so my best guess is that she is at least 10, maybe older as she was imported as an adult.

These are some pictures from a while ago, I didnt want to get any shots of her in the past few days.

She has been through a tank upgrade and a house move, when we moved we had walls knocked down to fit the tank in. She was the boss of the tank and full of personality with every Severum trait going.

Loosing her is such a massive blow to me and my partner, she was a real part of the family and will be sorely missed. She was like a dog to us, every morning when you turn the tank lights on you say morning to her first and at night we said night night and told her to be good.
Wills

Sorry to hear this Wills.

But sounds like she has had a good and long life and this counts for a lot.

RIP Lilly 

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear you lost her, Wills, how awful for you 
cry1.gif

She was a beautiful fish, and I'm sure she had a wonderful life with you.

Sincerest condolences to you all xx

Sorry to hear this. Losing a beloved pet is never easy.

:( Oh Wills I am so sorry buddy :( I knew how much she meant to you xx

Thanks everyone. I've chilled out a bit now, I know its a fact of life but it still sucks. With pets it always helps when you can say you did your best.

Lilly was the oldest fish in my tank by some way so I think my other fish should be with me for a while :) Next eldest is one of my whiptails and some of my anostomus which will be about 5 and my threadfin who is about 3-4.

Wills

Sorry about Lilly Wills. :(  At least she lived up in her double digits, which to me, is a big accomplishment. :)

I am so sorry for you and for your partner's loss. A fish like that is part of the family and that is never easy. 

She was quite beautiful. I am sure it was just her time. 

Ah I'm so sorry. It's always hard when you lose a pet.
Hope you're ok.

Thanks guys :) Lyra - from what I had read/been told for the smaller severum species 7-10 years is an expected life span so Im glad we managed to give her a good home.

We have done something we have not done before and we have buried her in the garden, we have bought a small Acer tree called little princess and are going to plant it over the area we buried her. I know its quite elaborate for a fish but like I say she was well and truly part of the family.

Wills

Nothing wrong with doing that, my front garden has many beloved fishy friends burried there.

:-( So sorry for your loss Wills! She was gorgeous and very well taken care of, obviously.
I see nothing wrong with burying fish (there are some in our backyard) and I think it's a great idea to plant the tree above her.

OH NO Not you too. If this the same Severum you had years ago?  It was an old fish you gave it the best life she could have in a aquarium. 

So Sorry I feel yours pain. I buried my old severum as you know It sucks. These are pets some people do not understand they say it's just a fish but it's not just a fish these are pets we raise and watch grow. 

So sorry. 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back