Good Ways To Convince Mom To Let Me Get New Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

seth

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
ok, right now i have a 20 gallon high but i am really looking for something that can hold more fish like a 55gallon(us) i was just wondering what are some good ways to ask? i asked before and she said to wait till christmas. but my birthday is coming up in july and i want it then. so what would you do? right now im thinking of new and intelligent ways to ask. oh by the way did i spell intelligent right??? thanks for any help

If she doesn't know much about fish, just tell her that a tank that big has to cycle for a looong time (sarcasm) and you won't be able to use it until almost Christmas anyways. Hehehe. :sly:

Or you can tell her that your 20 gallon fish are getting to big for their tank and need a bigger home very soon to live happily and healthy. Hehe.

I'll think of more, I promise - this is fun! Hehehe.

~ Wonderboy!

Or you can tell her that your 20 gallon fish are getting to big for their tank and need a bigger home very soon to live happily and healthy. Hehe.

That's a good reason.

Also, I have found that the selection of fish is better in the summer, than in the winter. Many species that are shipped to my lfs are not available in the colder months because they loose too many during shipping.

Make sure that you really keep up maintenance on your 20 gallon. Make sure the tank is really clean and nice looking, since I am guessing a tank as large as 55 gallons might not go into your bedroom. If she sees that the tank will be maintained well, it will alleviate 2 parental fears:
1. buying a fish tank (or any pet for that matter) for your kid, then a couple months later, the parent is doing all the work while the kid looses interest
2. A large tank like that is really an eyesore when it looks like crap

Good luck convincing her!

get a job and try to pay as much of the cost as possible....

as if shes saying at xmas then maybe her bigest concern is money, if so your also making sure you get more presents for christmas aswell as cash to spend inbetween

If she doesn't know much about fish, just tell her that a tank that big has to cycle for a looong time (sarcasm) and you won't be able to use it until almost Christmas anyways. Hehehe. :sly:

I'll think of more, I promise - this is fun! Hehehe.

~ Wonderboy!

I like the way your thinking but my only problem is my dad used to always have fish so he couldnt fall for that one. but my dad wouldnt care anyways hes glad that i found a hobby that i like. but i know yours will work on my mom. shes gonna be hard to budge. if those dont work lol i know cost is not a problem because i mow lawns in the summer to make a little extra $$ . please keep them coming. lol

"If you dont let my buy a fish tank, im gonna buy some phirana's to eat you"

Thats the best way to go

Maybe try to explain to her that there are certain types of fish that you want that won't all fit into your smaller tank. Its the truth. It worked on my mom (she is so understanding) but she still said I'd have to pay for it so I never got a 55 until I was older (for christmas last year, to be exact!) I think the suggestion of making your 20 gallon gorgeous is a really good one. I'm a mom and I would be thinking the same thing. I'd want to be sure that the first one was going to last as a responsible hobby and not just an impulse that would fade before allowing a second tank.

Tammy

Well I'm the same way, my mom won't budge on letting me get another tank. I got my 2.5 by giving it as a present to my sister but I took care of it. I got my 10 gallon when my guppies had babies and my mom thought they were so cute that she let me setup my spare 10 and put them in there and now I'v convinced her to let me keep it up. I find the best way is to pay for it yourself and if you plan on going to college like me make it obvious that you are saving lots of money for it. I give my dad 100$ every couple months to put into a special college fund and it makes him a little more convincing to let me spend money on my fish. You can also say it's a natural destresser (come on guys I'm surprised nobody else said that) and that people love seeing tanks when they come in the house. You could also say that if I get a bigger tank I can breed fish and use my smaller tank as a fry tank and sell the fish and make money or make your smaller tank into a planted tank and sell the plants. You can ask for a b-day/x-mass present combined. And you can say that you promise you will take care of it and if you don't you can get rid of it and she can pick out some of the fish to go in there. Or you can save up for it secretly and give it to her as a x-mass present and take care of it for her as a last resort.

Austin

ok i talked to the mom today and we decided to wait till christmas to make sure that this si not just impulse buy. i tried all the tricks but didnt budge i was suprised. oh well only9 months till christmas anyways lol.

lol, 9 months!! uv got alot of time to research then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, what ya putting in it? cichlids, etc...

good point. im gonna send my flyer out around the neighborhood soon. but i want to put a ton of little fish in the aquarium. just like a billion lol. oh ya i went to petsmart today and found a 75 gallon for only like 200 something bucks.

after your mum has said wait till xmas, get a part time job to raise the funds then say look i have saved enough for this tank. She may see this as being really determined and thus meaning you really want and are serious about the tank. if not dont kick up a stink as she can turn round and say no tank at all. If this happens think of the cash you have for stocking come xmas

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back