Good water flow for goldfish tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Agus

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm looking for a better way to make my goldfish tank clean from the fish poop. I'm using canister filter for my 45g bare bottom tank and the water flow like this:
Aquarium flow-1.jpg

Inlet position is 4" from the bottom. The aim is to make a flow that will make all dirt goes to the inlet, but I have to reduce the current that comes out from the spray bar so that the goldfish can swim comfortably. This bring consequences of heavy waste will gather in the red area of the tank and I have to vacuum it twice a day just to please my eyes :huh:

Any thought or suggestion on how to make an effective flow?

Last edited:
I keep an HOB at both ends if my tank. My goldies actually play in the flow.

Hi Deanasue, there's no dead spot in your tank? does it suck all the waste effectively?

It does. I also siphon with a python once a week.

7D8AC123-9AFE-4E8B-8D24-5B17B04C7DC8.jpeg
View attachment 94781
Nice, can I see your tank setup?
Sure. Excuse the yellow tint to the water. I just added some Furan-2 for cloudy eye in one of my fish and tints the water. Notice I also have a sponge filter in the center so they have a lot of bubbles to play in.

Last edited:
Thanks for the picture. I've tried using sand, stone and plants as a decor but some foods and waste always getting stuck in there, make it difficult to siphon. And my fish seems don't care to play with bubbles, she just focused on begging for food all the time :fish:

Perhaps my gravel is bigger but I never have an issue vacuuming. I get gunk up pretty easily. My goldies hated sand. Stayed away from the bottom until I changed it back.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back