Good Fish Names?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
depends on the species of fish - they all have different characters you can relate names to :)

they are guppies and a cory catfish at the moment

any names for when I buy different fish in the future will also help :)

Ghoti

(pronounced 'fish')

For us, the names of most of the fish just kind of evolved. Another idea is to pick a theme...for example Harry Potter characters, or characters from movies or TV series that you enjoy. My husband is into "Star Trek", and the show "Firefly". He named our newest Betta after Malcolm Reynolds, a character played by Nathan Fillion, who now plays in the program "Castle". :)

I normally pick a theme like Meeresstille suggested. I named all my fish after Vampires in TV shows, Movies, and Books for a while, but I ran out of ideas.  I currently name all my Plecos earth-related names I guess you could say?  I had Muddy, and now I have Pebble, and Everest (after the mountain!)

You could name them after their colors or personalities, too.  I had a Betta whose "middle name" was Spazz, because he was super active.  My current Betta's name is Cinder because of his colors.

You could also try googling "unusual baby names" and use some of those :lol:

Meeresstille said:
For us, the names of most of the fish just kind of evolved. Another idea is to pick a theme...for example Harry Potter characters, or characters from movies or TV series that you enjoy. My husband is into "Star Trek", and the show "Firefly". He named our newest Betta after Malcolm Reynolds, a character played by Nathan Fillion, who now plays in the program "Castle".
smile.png

I love this!

This is the sorta thing I go for too. My puffer is called Tony. As in Tony Stark

Fish, Fishie, Fishy, Fisher, Fishlips :lol:

I have no theme, I just name them

I tend to go by color and personality, and sometimes reputation of the fish.

Such as my betta Discord, he looks like a rainbow when swimming. Discord (MLP char) is made up of many different animals. Different colors/different animals..close enough
tongue2.gif

Discord is also sort of a bad guy, and most people consider bettas quite agressive. So. Yeah.
laugh.png

Tinkerbell (R.I.P), my golden gourami, was named that since Tinkerbell has yellow/golden hair, and an attitude. So same color and personality.

Lemongrab, my gold angel is named after a character on Adventure Time, who is yellow and quite grumpy.

I will be getting a black ghost knife & naming it Gengar, after the ghost pokemon, because..ghost. Also it's my favorite pokemon and the BGK is my favorite fish.

Blue bettas I usually think of the name Poseidon. Greek theme names are usually popular and sound lovely. :)

My son named one of our fish Michael.  So we now have a "Michael Fish" in our tank weather it rains or shines!

We also have a Peter, Chinky, and Lily (also known as Charlie).  Peter and Chinky from Enid Blyton's Magic Wishing Chair (RIP poor Molly!).  Lily is a boy fish, but our daughter wanted a girl name so as not to be left out - so it is Lily but nicknamed Charlie so he doesn't get a complex!

Some of my fish came with names, others I pick from tv programs or what suits their character.

i got some zebra danios today and have dubbed one skinny :) for obvious reasons :p

Back in the late 1990's I had a bala shark named Silver Streak!

I give most of my fish Romanian names
biggrin.png
here are some of the names I've used over the years:

Pishty the Blue Veiltail Betta (Spanish slang for "kitty)
Kiara the Orange Glofish
Flaquito the Neon Tetra (Spanish for "skinny"; he was my first and now my mom refers to all Neons as "flaquitos" LOL)
Fideo the Longfin Peppered Cory (Spanish for "noodle"; now we name all our cories after pasta, and refer to them all as "Fideos")
Panquecito the Red Veiltail Betta (Spanish for "little cake"; named by a classmate of mine)
Whoo, Oop and Whoop the Mystery Snails
Anita the ADF
Freddy the Red Wag Swordtail
Înger the Angelfish (Romanian for "angel" LOL)
Frumos the Angelfish (Romanian for "beautiful")
Raluca the Orange Swordtail
Goldie the Guppy
Fred the Red the Orange Swordtail
Ionuț the Orange Swordtail (Romanian version of Johnny)
Platan the Golden Mystery Snail (Romanian for "banana")
Chicle the Mystery Snail (Spanish for 'chewing gum")
Blackie the Black Platy
Your Sister the Guppy
Fatty the Guppy

Ahhhh!...OK, I'll stop...
tongue2.gif

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back