Good Clean Up Crew For A Juwel 125?

Curiosity101

Is now at University! :D
Joined
Mar 26, 2009
Messages
5,527
Reaction score
4
Points
38
Location
Uk, Nottinghamshire
The tank as it stands, well planted with a stand substrate, a piece of bog wood and a few rocks so plenty of ability for fish to hide or claim territories.
pH is 6.8
Temp is 25 degrees

I have a Fluval 3+ filter but am thinking of replacing it with a 4+. Would this make a significant difference? I don't want it so I can add more fish, just so the water is as clean as it can be.

Fish when the clean up crew would be introduced;
5 x Neons
4 x Gold barbs
2 x Bolivian rams
5 x Corys ( 2 sterba, 2 julii and 1 pepper)
6 x Banded Kuhli Loach

I wouldn't be planning on adding many more fish after a clean up crew. Perhaps a few guppies, a few rainbowfish or a pair of dwarf gourami perhaps.
I'd love a pair of angels but will have to judge that later :)

Anyhoo...no one overly predatory in my future fish list and you have my current fishies, as well as the current setup and filtration details.
So... what clean up crews do you have....what would fit with my guys etc?
The only fish I will NEVER have again is a golden algae eater...my lfs failed to mention as they matured they became quite territorial and will attack many flat bodied fish. Basically sucking all the scales off and killing them as a result.
 
I'm looking at those numbers and gasping a bit...
I'm not trying to question you at all, otherwise what would be the point in asking.
I'm just shocked at the numbers.

Any comment on filter upgrade by the way?
 
Adding a Fluval 4+ would be bettter but have you considered an external filter as they are so much better.
As for clean up crew, I'd be a bit wary about adding Shrimp with Rams. I tried this with Czech Rams and they constantly harassed them, I had to reome the Shrimp in the end.
What do you require a clean up crew for?
 
I had considered an external and to be honest I really want to get one. But I've been told "We're not having one if there is no promise it wont ever leak" *sigh*
So a fluval 4+ seems like a good idea :)

And if shrimps are 'ammonia neutral', or near enough. Then great!
I think I would perhaps start with 5 of each species...if that. Just to test them with the rams if it's possible that they might react badly.

And I want my cleaners for keeping filter, heater, plants and various bits n pieces clean. Oh and the glass...which I'm actually verging more towards apple snails. Anything I need to know about them other than what I've read on various fish sites? I don't have a large algae problem by the way...I wouldn't even call it a problem. It's just a 'the tank could be cleaner' and I've always loved watching other peoples shrimp n such at work.

truckasaurus - I had a quick look at the snails you recommended but sadly anything much below neutral and their shells can cope :( they're prettier than the apple snails aswell. *pout* My tap water is 6.5ph wise. So I already have to adjust the ph a little.
 
i had nerites with a PH of 6 :good:

all snails will have weaker shells in a lowr PH but if your calcium levels are good, theyll be fine :good:
 
Oh right? Any particular acclimatisation needed? Or were they just 'ok'.


Been doing some googling...freshwater clams? I wouldn't want clams plural...but perhaps a clam...just for the novelty. Plus they do absorb nirates which is always useful.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top