Good Bottom Dwellers?

Also, do you think I will be able to have a little school (8-10) of either neon tetras, or tiger barbs in my tank?

Thanks again, and sorry for all the questions, lol.
-FHM
 
The current tank isn't really big enough and Tetras may well become a snack for your other fish.
You may get away with adding another couple of Labs for now, although you are best waiting until you upgrade.
Once you've upgraded, your stocking options open up a bit more.
 
If you go for the Petricola, go for a minimum of three as they prefer to be in groups. Provide plenty of hiding places so they can create their own territories. And don't forget to post pics....
Okay...I will for sure post pics! especially when I get the tank planted and get some bogwood in there!

Thanks for all your help!
-FHM
 
Be careful when adding plants as Cichlids like to dig and many become uprooted. They have also been known to munch on them!
You could try something like Anubias or Java Fern as these can be attached to stone or bogwood.
It would also be worth adding ocean/tufa rock to bring your PH levels up as Malawis prefer a PH of about 8.
A little bogwood can be added, bearing in mind that it will lower your PH.
Hard work looking after these fish, isn't it! :S
 
Be careful when adding plants as Cichlids like to dig and many become uprooted. They have also been known to munch on them!
You could try something like Anubias or Java Fern as these can be attached to stone or bogwood.
It would also be worth adding ocean/tufa rock to bring your PH levels up as Malawis prefer a PH of about 8.
A little bogwood can be added, bearing in mind that it will lower your PH.
Hard work looking after these fish, isn't it! :S

Yeah it is a little....lol....but it is a fun hobby!

My pH right now is about a 7.8.

I will probably start a thread later when I am closer to get getting plants about what plants can be planted in a tank with Cichlids. Just to get as many possibilities as I can.

Well, I am on my way into town right now going to see if my LFS has any Synodontis Petricolas. Wish me luck...lol.

Thanks again!
-FHM
 
7.8 is about right so you don't really need to alter it. Malwais and catfish like hiding places and these can be created using rock, slate bogwood etc. or a mix of all three!
I know a couple of people who have had success with the above two mentioned plants and Vallisneria but it is definitely worth double checking.
Good luck with your shopping!
 
Well, I went to my LFS to see if they have those types of catfish, and obviously...lol, they did not.

But I did manage to get some filter floss...at least I think? :unsure: The stuff I got says it is 100% polyester, and the Title of it is Filter Fiber. Is this the right stuff?

After I went to my LFS I went to walmart, and to my surprise they had tons of those catfish...so I got three of them! :hyper:

I will post pics some time soon!

-FHM
 
I don't know these plants do in harder water, but for my baby Red Devil in the little non-Walstad I'm putting together for (arbitrary designation, no idea really,) her, I plan to try, along with Java fern, Bolbitis and some Anubia, a couple of lilies, as the bulbs can handle being dug up, and may toss in some of a standby hygro crawler as it seems able to deal with about any circumstance.
So I thought I'd mention, in case you wanted to look at any of these as possiblities for digging fish.
 
I don't know these plants do in harder water, but for my baby Red Devil in the little non-Walstad I'm putting together for (arbitrary designation, no idea really,) her, I plan to try, along with Java fern, Bolbitis and some Anubia, a couple of lilies, as the bulbs can handle being dug up, and may toss in some of a standby hygro crawler as it seems able to deal with about any circumstance.
So I thought I'd mention, in case you wanted to look at any of these as possiblities for digging fish.
Yeah, thanks for adding those possible plants! :good:

-FHM
 

Most reactions

Back
Top