Good Bottom Dwellers?

fatheadminnow

Fish Aficionado
Joined
Jan 14, 2009
Messages
4,815
Reaction score
14
Points
38
Location
US
What are some good fish/shrimp/snails, or any thing else, that would stay near the bottom a lot and pick at the bottom.

I want to find something that will pick at/agitate/stir up the bottom of my tank a little, just so it will kind of keep the bottom a little cleaner.

It does not necessarily have to eat stuff off the bottom, just kind of pick at it, so that way it will float around and maybe have a better chance at getting sucked up into the filter.

Thanks!
-FHM
 
What are some good fish/shrimp/snails, or any thing else, that would stay near the bottom a lot and pick at the bottom.

I want to find something that will pick at/agitate/stir up the bottom of my tank a little, just so it will kind of keep the bottom a little cleaner.

It does not necessarily have to eat stuff off the bottom, just kind of pick at it, so that way it will float around and maybe have a better chance at getting sucked up into the filter.

Thanks!
-FHM
cories :D
 
What other tankmates? Cories are good, but it depends on which other fish you have.
 
What are some good fish/shrimp/snails, or any thing else, that would stay near the bottom a lot and pick at the bottom.

I want to find something that will pick at/agitate/stir up the bottom of my tank a little, just so it will kind of keep the bottom a little cleaner.

It does not necessarily have to eat stuff off the bottom, just kind of pick at it, so that way it will float around and maybe have a better chance at getting sucked up into the filter.

Thanks!
-FHM
cories :D

Thats what I heard.

But what I also heard was.... Since I have that moon sand...which is, I guess, has sharp edges...that the Cories whiskers start to ware down after a while? :blink:

So I dont really know if I should get them or not?

Thanks for the reply!
-FHM
 
Bristlenose plec would be your best bet, no corries with the cichlids Im afraid.
 
You could try a BN catfish providing the PH isn't too high and there are plenty of places to hide. I personally wouldn't keep a Plec with Malawi Cichlids due to the difference in PH requirements.
You could try something like Synodontis Petricola although they would need moving to your bigger tank when you upgrade as they prefer a 3ft tank as minimum.
 
You could try a BN catfish providing the PH isn't too high and there are plenty of places to hide. I personally wouldn't keep a Plec with Malawi Cichlids due to the difference in PH requirements.
You could try something like Synodontis Petricola although they would need moving to your bigger tank when you upgrade as they prefer a 3ft tank as minimum.

Okay...I will for sure look into those.

Thanks for the reply!
-FHM
 
Your welcome and let us know how you get on. ;)
Well I have decided that I am going to be getting a Synodontis Petricola.

I just hope my LFS carries them?

If not, I know of this one shop that is about a 45 minute drive from my place that has probably over 300 tanks of different fish...very impressive! So I know they will carry them for sure!

-FHM
 
If you go for the Petricola, go for a minimum of three as they prefer to be in groups. Provide plenty of hiding places so they can create their own territories. And don't forget to post pics....
 

Most reactions

Back
Top