Goldfish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Falconwithaboxon

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'm going to get a goldfish soon and I had a couple of questions.

1. What would be a good type to get? I don't want any of the really fancy ones since I know they can be pretty unhealthy.

2. How big of a tank might I need? I only plan on keeping 1 or 2 and I would prefer smaller, 30 gallons or less with 20 being prefered, however, I am able to go larger.

3. Can anyone post pics so I can get an idea of what I'll need?

Thank you

Fantail goldfish are nice and don’t have the health problems of other fancy goldfish. I have mine in a 20 gallon.
4D900FAD-20C7-4CAD-BAC5-52B0172E28B5.png

Ouuu that is a pretty fish and tank

Thank you for sharing, I'm starting to get some ideas
i like ranchu goldfish, they are cute but have problems :( another pretty one are normal comet goldfish butterfly comets can grow as big as a normal comet in some cases i have seen, they need a biiiig tank like a comet goldfish does. agree with @DancingBetta , cute fish also!

my bad, i did not have the images.
1614231323603.png
this is fantail comet goldfish. comet godlfish need 125 tank and 15 gallons more for each fish.(i dont keep goldifsh but its an estimate :))

Minimum size tank for fantail (double tail) goldfish is 3 foot long.
Minimum size tank for common or comet (single tail) goldfish is 4 foot long.

Avoid bubble-eye, ranchu and pearlscale goldfish.

Don't keep fantail and single tail goldfish together.
Don't keep comet and common goldfish together.
Either go for fantails, or comets, or common goldfish. They all come in the same colours except blackmoor goldfish, which are a variety of fantail.

Minimum size tank for fantail (double tail) goldfish is 3 foot long.
Minimum size tank for common or comet (single tail) goldfish is 4 foot long.

Avoid bubble-eye, ranchu and pearlscale goldfish.

Don't keep fantail and single tail goldfish together.
Don't keep comet and common goldfish together.
Either go for fantails, or comets, or common goldfish. They all come in the same colours except blackmoor goldfish, which are a variety of fantail.
Okay I saw a 55 gallon for $219 with everything I need to get started. I'll probably buy that then. It was 52" L x 23" H x 15" W
Since you said fantails need 3' long, could I keep 2 in that 55 gallon or not? If not, I'll look for something smaller.
Could I start it in a smaller tank? I have a 10 gallon I could set up for the time being.

Last edited:
OK. Here goes...fancy goldfish need 20 gallons for the first one and 10 gallons for each Additional one. I highly recommend black moors, calico fancy tails, or red cap oranda’s. Red caps only have a small wren (orange cap) that won’t grow over their eyes. Regular oranda’s often need their wrens trimmed so stay away from them. I also have a calico ranchu that is very healthy. Secret to keeping fancy goldfish healthy is to not over feed them. I am attaching pics of my black moors which are now almost orange due to ago...5 years. They are in a 75G tank and the largest is 8” nose to tail tip. My other tank is 45G with one orange cap oranda and one calico ranchu ( sent to me in error but very healthy). I’ve never cared for ranchu before. Only ones I would stay clear of are large bubble eyes and Pearlcales. I have had some large bubble eyes though and one was my most popular sire when I use to breed goldfish. My other pic is of my comet, common, and shubunkins. They can be kept all together and They must be in a 100G tank for the first one or in a pond. All single tail grow big. One of mine is close to a foot long now. Hope this helps. Ask any question you’d like! ;)

Attachments

• 499C08A0-4AD4-4675-9B2D-610F78E5947B.jpeg
    499C08A0-4AD4-4675-9B2D-610F78E5947B.jpeg
    286.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 21FBD5A2-1D19-476E-88B1-B60B0EFD6746.jpeg
    21FBD5A2-1D19-476E-88B1-B60B0EFD6746.jpeg
    199.4 KB · Views: 108
  • 7F607D5E-1338-4603-A61D-0A003A1180BF.jpeg
    7F607D5E-1338-4603-A61D-0A003A1180BF.jpeg
    306.1 KB · Views: 96
  • A75DCC09-4688-44BF-8674-F723165CB012.jpeg
    A75DCC09-4688-44BF-8674-F723165CB012.jpeg
    295.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 904256EC-9A7E-44AB-A8C1-EC4A6AB7CADF.jpeg
    904256EC-9A7E-44AB-A8C1-EC4A6AB7CADF.jpeg
    271.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 86F2F240-DBAD-4591-A377-6459AC41B21C.jpeg
    86F2F240-DBAD-4591-A377-6459AC41B21C.jpeg
    355.7 KB · Views: 94
  • C43A336D-0912-4587-9725-6281720CDB9E.jpeg
    C43A336D-0912-4587-9725-6281720CDB9E.jpeg
    298.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 9F1A4828-ECA0-436A-8A93-5B759FAACD71.jpeg
    9F1A4828-ECA0-436A-8A93-5B759FAACD71.jpeg
    383.9 KB · Views: 101
OK. Here goes...fancy goldfish need 20 gallons for the first one and 10 gallons for each Additional one. I highly recommend black moors, calico fancy tails, or red cap oranda’s. Red caps only have a small wren (orange cap) that won’t grow over their eyes. Regular oranda’s often need their wrens trimmed so stay away from them. I also have a calico ranchu that is very healthy. Secret to keeping fancy goldfish healthy is to not over feed them. I am attaching pics of my black moors which are now almost orange due to ago...5 years. They are in a 75G tank and the largest is 8” nose to tail tip. My other tank is 45G with one orange cap oranda and one calico ranchu ( sent to me in error but very healthy). I’ve never cared for ranchu before. Only ones I would stay clear of are large bubble eyes and Pearlcales. I have had some large bubble eyes though and one was my most popular sire when I use to breed goldfish. My other pic is of my comet, common, and shubunkins. They can be kept all together and They must be in a 100G tank for the first one or in a pond. All single tail grow big. One of mine is close to a foot long now. Hope this helps. Ask any question you’d like! ;)
Wow this helps a lot. I was leaning towards the Black Moors since I plan on white substrate and I think that contrast would look nice. How many do you have in that tank? Do they eat a different kind of food? Or could I just feed them what I feed the fish I already have? Is a 75 gallon big enough if I want a black moor and a couple tank mates? (3 giant danios or 6 zebra danios would be the tank mates)

Wow this helps a lot. I was leaning towards the Black Moors since I plan on white substrate and I think that contrast would look nice. How many do you have in that tank? Do they eat a different kind of food? Or could I just feed them what I feed the fish I already have? Is a 75 gallon big enough if I want a black moor and a couple tank mates? (3 giant danios or 6 zebra danios would be the tank mates)
Black Moors are my fav. 75G would be plenty but the danios may steal all the food. Moor’s eye sight isn’t real keen and they are slower than danios. I would keep them by themselves. They can eat any good grade goldfish food, cucumbers, peas, etc. they even enjoy a cut up piece of orange occasionally.

Okay I saw a 55 gallon for $219 with everything I need to get started. I'll probably buy that then. It was 52" L x 23" H x 15" W
Since you said fantails need 3' long, could I keep 2 in that 55 gallon or not? If not, I'll look for something smaller.
Could I start it in a smaller tank? I have a 10 gallon I could set up for the time being.
I have 4 large gold fish in a 75 right now, and again I am going bigger. I didn't do my research on how big gold fish get. My son wanted some fish. I always loved my fish tanks but never had a gold fish. My goldy's just keept getting bigger, so do my tanks. We started with a 10g and 4 bigger ones between that and I am So excited for my 125 gallons tank to get here.
If you get 2 gold fish for a 55 I would not put anything more with them. Those gold fish get big and you will need the room for them. Adding more than that you will be doing alot of water changes. Gold fish are fun, they are diggers, mine have a little ⚽ and goal and it's fun to play with them. There water can get dirty fast if over population. Gold fish at dirty dudes
We love are gold fish they are so fun. They know when he come home doing the fish dance. I cook them zucchini, cucumbers. I can't wait to put there bigger house together.

I have 4 large gold fish in a 75 right now, and again I am going bigger. I didn't do my research on how big gold fish get. My son wanted some fish. I always loved my fish tanks but never had a gold fish. My goldy's just keept getting bigger, so do my tanks. We started with a 10g and 4 bigger ones between that and I am So excited for my 125 gallons tank to get here.
If you get 2 gold fish for a 55 I would not put anything more with them. Those gold fish get big and you will need the room for them. Adding more than that you will be doing alot of water changes. Gold fish are fun, they are diggers, mine have a little ⚽ and goal and it's fun to play with them. There water can get dirty fast if over population. Gold fish at dirty dudes
We love are gold fish they are so fun. They know when he come home doing the fish dance. I cook them zucchini, cucumbers. I can't wait to put there bigger house together.
Also gold fish can get lonely, so I would get 2. They don't need a school just a friend.

You can have 4-6 adult fantail goldfish in the 52 inch long tank.

If you get small goldfish (1 inch long), you can start them out in the 10 gallon and move them into the bigger tank in a few months.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back