Goldfish issues

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Divinityinlove

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
This is a Goldfish I sort of rescued and is now in a temporary 50 litre plastic wham container whilst I find a new home for her/him. He was in a small jar half filled with water for 24 hours only I was told, the water was filthy when I picked her up. I had him 2 days and changed water both days until a sponge filter is delivered by amazon, hopefully today.

He's got some patches on the scales, white and brownish.. sometimes he/she swims a bit, sometimes it looks like it is eagerly trying to suck algae off the edges of the container, but unsure as there is no algae... I fed it twice per day, some brine shrimp, then peas and cucumber.

Most of the time he still just sort of hides next to the big ornament/stone in the middle. Doesn't seem to like the noise from the oxygen pump. I give him a few hours of light per day but since he is still stressed or potentially sick in some way, try to keep the light off, there's a bit of daylight anyway.

Can anyone suggest how to recognise if he needs any meds?

Apparently he was in the same tank water for a month before I got him... which was transferred into the jar when he was given away.

How can I increase changes of her survival and health?

IMG_20220720_092547.jpg

Dont medicate. I think that once it's in a proper setup it will be fine.
How long do you reckon it can stay in the plastic PP container 50 litre, with air pump, sponge filter, it's about 29 degrees temperature weather at the mo anyway. I'm just enquiring with people who have a goldfish set up, but if I cannot find one, I might have to take to a petshop. I'll keep it for as long as it will be ok in this container.

How long do you reckon it can stay in the plastic PP container 50 litre, with air pump, sponge filter, it's about 29 degrees temperature weather at the mo anyway. I'm just enquiring with people who have a goldfish set up, but if I cannot find one, I might have to take to a petshop. I'll keep it for as long as it will be ok in this container.
Is the water that the Goldfish is in 29 Celsuis? Thats 84 fh which is way to hot for goldfish. They prefer colder water.

The sooner you get it in a proper set up the better and less stressful it will be for the fish.

The fish can live in that set up for months.

To keep it healthy and help it recover, do big regular water changes, and make sure there is no ammonia, nitrite or nitrate. Feed it a varied diet.

The fish will be fine in that water temperature as long as there is plenty of aeration.

If you add some more plants (plastic or real) the fish will feel more secure.

Is the water that the Goldfish is in 29 Celsuis? Thats 84 fh which is way to hot for goldfish. They prefer colder water.
Yes as mentioned, it's the temperature of the house with windows open and all. Not sure how to COOL DOWN tank water! :/

Is the temperature of the house going down at all? Up north we currently have a cold northerly wind blowing through the house and the temperature is now 23 deg. If you can get the air temp indoors down, water changes with cooler water will bring the tank temp down, and with cooler air it shouldn't go back up again..

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back