Goldfish in bathtub?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Moonweaver

Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I've seen so many things online and people who put their goldfish in a bath tub and use that as a pond. The three comet goldfish I got when I was younger are out growing their tank and we'd like to move them into our unused bath tub (I hope that's a safe idea) Does any one have tips on how we'd do water changes? It's not high enough off the ground for the regular siphoning... If ya'll have other comments/tips please drop those as well!

No no, and no. Bathtubs have so much germs, chemicals, and other bad stuff, it would never be a good idea to do that.

Is the bathtub new? If you got a new bathtub, then you might be able to make it work. (Because it would be clean)

Why not just make a pond?

It's never been used before but not new :/ The tub is indoors so we can maintain a good temperature, we have really cold winters and lots of stray cats so my family told me it wouldn't be safe for them

It could work. I would be worried about soap or cleaner residue, if it's ever been used at any point in history. However, a normal bathtub only holds about 20-30 gallons, which isn't enough space for three comets. If it's a big soaking tub, maybe.

I have mine in a garden pond. It’s a pre-fab pond that holds 150 gallons. It’s fine right now but moving them to a cattle trough next Spring because a fry survived and I didn’t find it until it as about 8 weeks old. So now I have 4. One like mine would be fine for 2 comets though. They can withstand pretty extreme temps.

Bath tubs are fine for fish, just wash them out with bleach and rinse well.

Most people that use bath tubs have them above ground and you either pull the plug and drain the water, or syphon it out.

You can build up the soil around the bath or put a wood frame around it to insulate it and have it higher than the surrounding area. Some people build the wood frame and add a bench to it so you can sit next to the pond and watch the fish.

Thank guys! I'll probably drain the water if I can't find a better idea ^^

It could work. I would be worried about soap or cleaner residue, if it's ever been used at any point in history. However, a normal bathtub only holds about 20-30 gallons, which isn't enough space for three comets. If it's a big soaking tub, maybe.
That was my thought exactly...

My father uses a bath tub for his 3 fancy goldfish.

Bath is sunken into the ground in garden, arranged nice stones and plants surround the bath and a small water fountain pump for aeration and agitation of water, bunches of elodea in bath as well.

Think this has been set up like this for at least 5 years now.

Does not look like a bath at all since you cannot see it at all but the shape and size points to it being a bath though :lol:

What the heck kinda bathtub you got wherever you live :rofl: . Mine is easily 150 gallons.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back