Golden Panchax

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

how many is the minimum i can get, could i get away with one male and one female?

They can be kept on their own. Think you need several females for one male though.

Do not keep males together. I purchased 3 and the weakest was bullied to death and I rehomed the 2nd as the dominant male constantly harrassed him.

are there any types that are similar in size but nicer looking?

the one I have looks amazing - they colour up significanly once you get them settled, and far better than in the LFS.

There are some incredibly colourful killis that I have seen, but I don't know much about the species to be honest.

here's mine

Jan2011033.jpg

Fundulopanchax gardneri or Epiplatys dageti, perhaps? Don't know if will make any difference to you, but these don't tend to spend anywhere near as much time at the water surface, compared to Golden Wonders. The natural form of Golden Wonders, Aplocheilus lineatus, is a lovely looking fish in its own right, but I'm not sure how easy these are to obtain.

Hopefully "ricefish" and/or "BigC" will post their thoughts, both have a great experience and knowledge of keeping many varieties of killifish.

i am tending to lean towards the larger golden ones as i may eventually get butterfly fish so dont want them to get eaten

What are you going to keep with them?They have large mouths and will eat anything they can fit in it,get quite large and are very good jumpers
Fundulopanchax are probably a better choice very colourful and better suited to a community

they will be kept with

2 dwarf gourami
5 denisonii barbs
2 cupid cichlids
4 pictus catfish
2 german rams
1 Candy stripe L015
1 Gold nugget L018
1 amano shrimp
1 bamboo shrimp

but i was thinking of getting 2 butterfly fish

Most reactions